Menu

Field trip help

PCA

One of the things I feel has been lacking in our homeschooling journey is field trips. What are some of the can't miss field trips that you have done with your children? I would love some ideas from you all..... thanks! This year I will have a 3rd grader, 1st grader, preschooler and 1 year old.

We haven't officially started our homeschool journey yet. That said, I've been warming the kids up to the idea all summer by doing small field trips. Here are some of the places we've gone:

- The zoo

-The local children's science museum

-BassPro Summer Family Camps

-The library's summer kids' program

We still have plans to go to one of our beaches (not an option for everyone, I know). We are also annual season passholders for Walt Disney World, and we will be making a few trips to Epcot/Animal Kingdom. Once the kids start school, they will be involved with Cub Scouts too, so they'll be field trips with that as well.

horse ranches or farms

pumpkin patches in fall

parks with ponds for feeding ducks and fish

all types of museums. I watch a local paper for free days.

library classes. Ours has stuff all year from stuff for just kids to soapmaking for all ages.

Musical concerts of all kinds.

nature things: camping, hiking, nature centers

a membership to the zoo or a science museum is great, because you can really go through it during the year, instead of trying to squeeze everything in one or two visits. You can revisit their favorite parts over and over.

I love field trips and I agree with all the places that have been said above. I also like to go to places like the grocery store, newspaper, police station, fire station, the bank, and all other sorts of local service type places when they are younger. I have found all of them to be interested in giving tours. It helps if you can get at least one other family to go with you so it's more of a home school "group". If not, you can ask if any other home school groups are coming and if you can be folded into their tour. As they get older think about things like power plants, federal reserve banks, and every historical site that is close enough to travel in a day. I look frequently on our state parks website and they have all types of demonstrations and seasonal offerings. We stopped recently at our state's welcome center to take a restroom break and there were all types of handouts and fliers. My middle son picked up a little book that had tons of ideas of places to go that I had never thought of, and I have lived in this state my whole life. Also, contact any universities in your area. This spring we were able to go to a wildlife center that was great. They had biology majors leading the tour.

Thank you all for such great ideas! I am writing them all down :)

Sherri, I love your ideas about taking tours of fire stations, banks.... Also your idea for looking into the state parks and community to see what they offer each season!

Thanks so much!

Our zoo has zoo classes for homeschooled children every month so we take advantage of those

The orchestra also does homeschool classes where they play music, have ballet dancing and opera singing and the kids get to touch all the interments

The Art Museum also has homeschool classes each month

The theater had shortened plays for a reduced cost on Thursdays that homeschoolers take advantage of.

We visit a farm and milk cows

We go to historic parks and little small local museums that are for cities...

Just stuff like that.

We took the Sonlight book called Things People Do by Anne Civardi and read a two page spread every other week. Then we went on a field trip that week that applied to what we read. The book is about an island and all the people who live there. It's a picture book illustrated in very well done cartoon style. Each two page spread shows a person on the Island and what they do. There is a hotel keeper, mayor, ballerina, veterinarian, teacher, garage owner, etc. We read about the baker and then went on our local grocery store's bakery tour. Then, of course, we ate donuts! It was really fun. It's a total Community Helpers course for a couple of dollars (bought used)!