Menu

paperbackswap question

HI,

I have a question about pbs. I've been trying to find something on the site about the condition books must be in in order to be swapable and haven't been able to find anything on it.

Today someone requested one of my books, and wanted a book that did not have smoke smell and was in good condition not worn or old. She says to pm her if there are any questions about it. I don't see a pm button anywhere on the request or the persons name or anything, so I don't know how to pm her. How do I do this?

The book has a bend on the bottom corner of the front cover, but otherwise is like new, so I think it would be OK, but she sounds particular so I'd rather make sure first.

Thanks!

You can find the condition guidelines in the Help docs, but I'll post them below. You can't PM someone until you accept their request. Many people who post on the forums there decline requests that have vague wording, it just depends on if you want to deal with someone who may be very particular.

General remarks:

* This is a used-book swapping site; books are not expected to be in like-new condition.

o Older books may have some page yellowing or spine-creasing or dogeared pages; these are all OKAY.

o Decirculated library books may have various markings and/or stamps inside or outside or on the page edges of the book; this is OKAY. These may not obscure text.

o BookCrossing books may have stickers or stamps or markings on the outside or inside covers or page edges of the book; this is OKAY. These may not obscure text.

o Hardbacks do NOT have to include their dustjackets.

o Audiobooks MUST be the original cassettes/CDs, but do NOT have to include the outer "box" that held the set.

o Audiobooks must be playable.

o There is an exception to general condition guidelines for textbooks; see below.

o There is an exception to general condition guidelines for cookbooks; see below.

* We do NOT have a place for members to describe the condition of a particular copy of a book.

o ALL books on PBS are expected to be in "good, not excessively worn" condition

+ note the specific cases for textbooks and cookbooks

o Books are requested in FIFO (first-in, first-out) order

* If you would like your books to be in "better-than-PBS" condition :

o You are responsible for setting Requestor Conditions on your account.

Guidelines:

Overall Condition:

* No damage at all from water or other liquid

* Not soiled

* No stains (exception for cookbooks--see below)

* No mold

* no highlighting, underlining or writing on text pages (exception for textbooks --see below)

Dust Jacket:

* The DUST JACKET (this is not the same as the cover of a book) does not have to be included with a book at all, unless the requestor had this in their Requestor Conditions.

* So DUST JACKET condition cannot be considered as part of the condition of a book, unless there were Requestor Conditions on the request specifying that the dust jacket be included.

* If the Dust Jacket was to be included as specified in the Requestor Conditions on the request, the Dust Jacket must meet the same conditions as defined for the cover, below.

Cover:

* Must both be present (front and back)

o note that a paperback missing its front cover is usually an illegal, unsold copy

o "cover" does not = dust jacket. Hardcovers do not need to include their dust jackets to be swapped here.

* Cover not water damaged (there may be no water damage to any part of the book)

* Cover not torn or chewed/gnawed

o some used book stores cut out a small part of the cover; if the amount missing is less than 1 square inch, this is OKAY

o a small rip (less than 1 inch) in the cover is OKAY

o yes, that does say "chewed/gnawed" above. That means no pet-chewed (or human-chewed) books.

* A bookplate inside the cover or on the flyleaf is OKAY

Binding:

* Must be intact, with no separation on the inside or outside of the book

* If the book tends to open at a particular page, this is OKAY

* Small amount of fraying or denting at top or bottom is OKAY

Pages:

* No torn or chewed/gnawed pages

o yes, that does say "chewed/gnawed". That means no pet-chewed (or human-chewed) books.

* No loose or missing text pages

* Cover not water damaged (there may be no water damage to any part of the book)

* No writing or highlighting or underlining on text pages

o a signature or note on the flyleaf or inside front or back cover is OKAY

o an author's signature on the title page is OKAY

o writing or highlighting or underlining on the text pages is NOT OKAY

+ Exception: if it is a textbook or workbook, these are expected to have highlighting/underlining/writing

# if you post a textbook/workbook, the condition must be described to the requestor in a Personal Message

# AND the described condition MUST BE AGREED TO in a reply PM before the book is sent

# This is the one of the ONLY two cases in which a PM exchange about a book is required before the book can be sent(the other is for cookbooks--see below).

No staining

o Exception: Cookbooks may have some mild staining, since these are used in the kitchen and while cooking, and some minor degree of staining could be expected in a used cookbook. Also a small amount of writing in cookbooks could be expected

o HOWEVER, if you post a cookbook and it is stained and/or written-in, the condition must be described to the requestor in a Personal Message

o AND the described condition MUST BE AGREED TO in a reply PM before the book is sent

o This is the one of the ONLY two cases in which a PM exchange about a book is required before the book can be sent (the other is for textbooks--see above).

o this exception applies to the covers of cookbooks also.

* Page edges: remainder marks are OK. A name written on the page edges is okay (if it does not bleed in and obscure text on the text pages)

Thank you! I looked all over for that and missed it somehow.

Now I'm trying to print wrappers for 2 other books, and keep getting a message that IE can't open this page. I may have to hand write them.

I use Firefox, so am not going to be much help with that. . .:001_huh:

You can find the condition guidelines in the Help docs, but I'll post them below. You can't PM someone until you accept their request. Many people who post on the forums there decline requests that have vague wording, it just depends on if you want to deal with someone who may be very particular.

You could accept their request and then pm them with the exact details of the book to be sure they still want it. Then if they say no, you can cancel.

Now I'm trying to print wrappers for 2 other books, and keep getting a message that IE can't open this page. I may have to hand write them.

I always get a message of some sort that it can't open (can't remember exactly what it says). There should then be a link that allows you to open the file manually. It's a .pdf file.

When I try to print from PBS, I get a pop up blocker message and I have to click "download file" but then it works.

As for the woman who is very particular, you should be able to respond to her request for the book right there on the screen that has all of her conditions listed.

When I look at the page with her conditions on it, it has buttons for 'I cannot mail this book,' 'book meets conditions,' or 'book does not meet conditions'. But I'm not seeing a pm button.

I wonder tho, if I choose meets conditions, then pm her (I noticed on the other books that I can pm after I click that I can mail the book) can I go back and choose not to mail the book if it doesn't meet her standards?

Hmmm...it's working ok for me right now. Maybe wait a few minutes and try again? Or could it be your internet connection (but you were able to post here...) :confused:

Yes, I've been able to use other sites just fine, it's only that one. DH is more computer saavy than I, so I'll have him check out the settings tonight and see if there's something blocking htings from coming up right.