Menu

5-HTP - what dose do you take?

I bought a bottle of 50 mg 5-HTP. The bottle says the dose is one tablet per day. Online, I see websites giving dosages of up to 300 mg daily, split over three doses, and other websites saying that more than 50 mg per day can lead to nausea, stomach aches, and nightmares.

So, those of you taking this, how much do you take each day? Have you had any stomach trouble or nightmares? Any other side effects to watch out for?

Michelle T

I agree that you should start low and build up. It made me sleepy when I first started taking it, then I swear it began making me hyper. Now, I take a 50 mg tab, 3 times a day and I think it helps me sleep. I have heard that up to 300mg is standard.

In terms of nausea...it really depends on the brand, and how they have encapsulated it. I take the brand "NOW" and they do not make me sick to my stomach at all. When I started taking 5-htp, I used another brand, and I did feel very sick.

Anyway, I've been very pleased with taking 200 mgs. an hour before I go to sleep at night. This is very effective for me. And YES it most definitely will help you with sleeping!! It also cuts down on sugar cravings for me during that time of the month. I used to ALWAYS need chocolate and ice cream and cookies, but I no longer desire those. I take magnesium too for hormonal issues, so I'm sure that helps with the cravings as well.

I do have some more vivid dreams than normal, and yes sometimes nightmares...but it's not so bad, especially considering how much it helps me during the day (which is what really matters!).

Let us know how it's working for you!