Menu

Center for Gifted Education

kwg

I have attended a conference there for the last 2 years, and there is a table set up with all of the materials out. They weren't for me. There wasn't anything wrong with them, but they were geared for school use. I asked the gal at the table how they could be adapted for homeschool use, and she had no idea (but went on to tell me she met someone once who was homeschooled, and he turned out ok, tee hee).

I think there are others on the boards who actually use them, but I'd recommend trying to see them in person.

(but went on to tell me she met someone once who was homeschooled, and he turned out ok, tee hee).

I think there are others on the boards who actually use them, but I'd recommend trying to see them in person.

:ohmy: Thanks for the heads up Colleen. There seems to be a lot of other publishers at Prufrock that I'll look into those as well.

I have ordered from Kendall Hunt-Ancient China and Beyond Words. Both books are pretty well written in terms of laying out a lesson plan for each concept/chapter. However, they were written for the classroom, so you have to pick and choose some activities due to not having a group of kids.

The books do not come with a daily schedule, and are slightly scripted. You have to set out your own plan for each week as far as what points you want to actually cover. They are similar to a unit study approach.

I don't have the books in front of me at the moment because I am not at home, however, I do remember the Ancient China book being meant for only 1/2 a school year. I can't remember if Beyond Words was a full year or not. Therefore, they are quite pricey for the length of time.

You can see more samples of the books by doing a Google books search for the titles. Some have a lot of sample and others have very little.

Service from Kendall Hunt was very quick by the way. If you have any specific questions, I will try to get on later and answer. I need to get home now.