Menu

I need science for my 1st, 3rd and 6th grader

Quiver0f10

I'd like something I could read aloud, then they could narrate to me ( 6th can write his own) with a few hands on experiments. I don't have a lot of money to spend though. I am thinking physics of chemistry would be fun, but I am open to any ideas.

I had planned on just using library books on topics they choose, but I am thinking I need something I have here at home that I can open and go.

What do you recommend? Thanks! :)

Edited by Quiver0f10

Pandia Press R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Chemistry is what we're using this year for 3rd and 4th. There is a reading page followed by a lab or reinforcement. You can download a couple weeks worth of lessons to try it and see at www.pandiapress.com. It uses common household things for labs and if you can't find something, just don't do that one. When we did the Life book, we couldn't find rolypoly bugs anywhere for the lab. Weeks later, at a party, dd9 and ds8 found some and spent half the party examining them and reminding each other what the books said.

Pandia Press R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Chemistry is what we're using this year for 3rd and 4th. There is a reading page followed by a lab or reinforcement. You can download a couple weeks worth of lessons to try it and see at www.pandiapress.com. It uses common household things for labs and if you can't find something, just don't do that one. When we did the Life book, we couldn't find rolypoly bugs anywhere for the lab. Weeks later, at a party, dd9 and ds8 found some and spent half the party examining them and reminding each other what the books said.

Thanks! I just posted a question about this in another thread. It looks pretty nice!

We've liked it. You can either buy the printed book or the ebook and print extra sheets for the other kids. They allow reproducing for your family. If you do buy the printed book, the looseleaf is easier to copy from. There is also a book list in the front for extra reading if you want your 6th grader to do extra.

We've liked it. You can either buy the printed book or the ebook and print extra sheets for the other kids. They allow reproducing for your family. If you do buy the printed book, the looseleaf is easier to copy from. There is also a book list in the front for extra reading if you want your 6th grader to do extra.

Sounds even better! I think I will try to get the looseleaf so I can make copies. Thank you!!!

I'm using Winterpromise's Rock Around the Earth for my K, 3rd and 6th grader. I've used Apologia (young explorers) successfully in the past. The older one can do more in depth research while the middle and younger can participate in notebooking and experiments. I don't think they have chemistry for the youngers, however.

I'd like something I could read aloud, then they could narrate to me ( 6th can write his own) with a few hands on experiments. I don't have a lot of money to spend though. I am thinking physics of chemistry would be fun, but I am open to any ideas.

I had planned on just using library books on topics they choose, but I am thinking I need something I have here at home that I can open and go.

What do you recommend? Thanks! :)

I liked using the chemistry and physics books that were recommended in the 2004 WTM. We'd experiment and talk/write about the experiments, and try to find library books about the experiment topic, for further reading/narration (although I found that hard for chemistry).

We're going to be using Considering God's Creation with my K'er and 3rd grader...half pace so we'll finish it in 1st/4th then repeat it at a deeper level again over two years (and continue this cycle or repeating it every two years as each younger gets into it and each older graduates out of it in 7th...I think ;) )

It's a once per week schedule, notebooking, easy experiements, seems good for narrations, and looks very interesting and fun! Very adaptable for a wide age range.