Menu

Anyone use Sonlight 7 and 100

Kissy

Not in the same year but I am wondering if anyone used Sonlight 7 World History Part 2 and then used Sonlight 100? I am thinking of going this route with my son after this coming year. We were doing a 4 yr rotation but I want him to get a year of indepth American History because we haven't done that. I started homeschooling in 4th grade. So anyway, I am wondering what you thought of both programs? Were they what you expected? What did you love and hate about them? Thanks.

I had originally thought about doing this same thing, but here's what I ended up doing instead. I bought core 7 and am spreading it out over two years. I am adding in a lot of American history that I want dd to cover. I went to http://www.abookintime.com and found some titles to add in. This year, I looked through the SL catalog for core 100 and added in some of those titles too. I also did a lot of asking on this board for some good recommendations for books to fit what we will be covering.

What I like about doing this--SL schedules SOTW vol. 3 and 4. We did vol. 3 last year, and will do vol. 4 this year. SL book choices are great. We could go at a slower pace with SL by doing one core over 2 years. I like the discussion questions provided by SL. I was able to add in my younger children by doing it this way, and yet my 7th grader had enough meaty material to go on by herself.

What I don't like about doing it this way---it makes more work for me with the additional planning, but then again, I'm a tweaker, so I'd probably tweak and change whatever curriculum for history I might buy.

My oldest son is using Core Alt 7 this year, which is world history in-depth (as opposed to Core 6 & Core 7, spread over 2 years).

He'll be using Core 100 next year for US history in-depth.

I've used Core 100 before (my oldest dd used it in 8th grade and loved it. She especially enjoyed Joy Hakim's History of US series), but this is our first time using Core Alt 7. The books look great, though!

I think both cores would be fine for students in 6th through 9th or 10th grade. My son has autism and language arts is his weak area (due to dyslexia). It's perfect for his reading level....which is around jr. high to early high school.