Menu

I am looking for a 6th grade science program. Any suggestions?

Tani

I have been looking at Pearson Sciences and McMillon (sp). We have done WTM and I am thinking of maybe a more textbook oriented program for my dd. I need to beef up science for next year and this is a favorite subject with dd. Any suggestions, good or bad, are very appreciated;o)

The PH website is a mess. I suggest ordering a catalog. Here's the best link:

http://phcatalog.pearson.com/program_multiple.cfm?site_id=6&discipline_id=808&subarea_id=5383&program_id=21981

Let me add that the people who answer the phones are very good at helping you navigate the website. I often call and act really stupid. They walk me right through it and patiently answer all my questions.

I have been pulling my hair out because of Prentice Hall's website all afternoon. It certainly hasn't given me a good first impression.

And why, why, oh why, don't any of these science/curriculum sites let us have a little peek into the books? Are they trying to stay mysterious? :rolleyes:

But thanks for easing my mind about the PH website.

Jo

I was looking into it last summer for my 6th grader. I got so frustrated with trying to understand what I needed to purchase and trying to find samples. I honestly just gave up. My dd really wanted experiments, and since I wasn't sure what PH offered in that area we opted to do Chemistry this year for 6th. Don't know if your dc has already done this, but we are using The Elements, Ingredients of the Universe (ordered from RR), RS4K Chem 1, Usborne Science Encyclopedia, Fizz Bubble & Flash, and if time permits Adventures in Atoms & Molecules. My dd is really enjoying her science this year. Probably because we are doing the experiments, and they work (so far!)

Perhaps I'll order a catalog like Sue mentioned and look into it again....

Good Luck!

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? This is well-organized, written to the student, full of options, and available online or in printed form. My rising 6th grader will be doing the OM 7th grade Earth Science. OM is on the "gentle" side, so not a problem to work ahead by a grade or two.

My favorite thing about this curriculum is the project options that the student has to choose from for each topic!

Sample Earth Science:

https://www.oakmeadow.com/curric/demo_oc.cfm?table=Sci7&title=Seventh%20Grade%20Science&grade=7

I buy the student text, the teacher's manual, and the guided reading and study workbook for Science Explorer. Some moms do it without the TM, but I feel better having the answers to the section assessments and chapter tests.

I have samples of the guided reading and study workbook. Email me if you would like them.

I have looked through a friend's Oak Meadow Earth Science. It's also a text. But, maybe there's an online option?

I have looked through a friend's Oak Meadow Earth Science. It's also a text. But, maybe there's an online option?

I don't think I have ever heard a positive review of Oak Meadow's online curriculum, although their printed curriculum is very good. I have both the Oak Meadow 5th grade Environmental Science book, and the 6th grade Life Science. They are very hands-on, and some of the projects are quite involved in terms of time. I'm not using either of them, although I am using OM 6 history, and think it's very good.

The Oak Meadow science is written in an engaging, fairly narrative style, for a science text. You can see the samples at their website.

Michelle T

Although I agree about their site being a nightmare, their books are wonderful. I will have a couple on my ebay list that starts in two weeks. We used all 16 Science Explorer books (at least I think it is 16) I bought 4 new after I figured out the stupid site, One of bought on ebay(it had 5 titles in it all the Life Science books) and the others we borrowed from the library. Ds really devoured these.