Menu

The youngest...

Hey guys, Now that I've gotten my older two kinda settled (at least curriculum-wise) for this year I can't avoid thinking about my youngest any longer.

From previous posts I mentioned my oldest son (10), with many Asperger's symptoms, still officially undiagnosed but starting a social skills group next month. This organization says that they will watch him during the group and advise if I should push for the eval. He has social issues, sensory issues, attention issues, fine and gross motor skills weakness and a possible learning disability or two (I'm thinking possible dyscalcula or something that mimics his trouble with learning order of operations, following instructions that have more than 2 steps...) He has been evaluated twice, once when he was 2.5yrs and once at almost 6 yrs.

My middle son, 7, was a c-section baby delivered at 36 weeks because I had complete placenta previa. He had major failure to thrive issues, wouldn't nurse or take a bottle and was under 10lbs at 4 months old. He had hearing problems and asthma when he was a baby. He was hospitalized three times in his first two years for the breathing problems and had a massive speech delay. No ear infections, apparentally just fluid in the eardrums. After getting tubes at age 3 he finally began speaking, he was talking at a 14 month old level. With a hearing and speech problem he qualified for assistance through our county, received pre-K in a Speech Language Disorder class at the ps and has an IEP. He was in inclusion classes in K and 1st. This ds also has fine motor problems, ADHD and sensory issues (he is hypersensitive, the older is hyposensitive).

We were done having kids. I swear. I had my hands full and knew it. I was on birth control. Then we conceived my third son.

I had such high hopes that this would be my "normal, easy" baby. Things were going great but I'm starting to feel that I may need an evaluation for him as well. Not ever having had a normal, healthy kid I feel like I don't know when to call for help.

He is 3.5 years old now. His language skills are probably normal for a 2 year old. He speaks but alot of his language is unintelligible. Mostly of his language is between 1-3 word statements or sentences and non-family members find him hard to understand...actually even his dad and my mom who lives with me can't usually understand him. Because of the situation with my 7 year old I did get his hearing checked when he was 2. That day he had a cold and his hearing tested very poorly but we went back a month later on a healthy day and he was fine.

Other than communications I have noticed that he doesn't seem to feel things. I think he is very hyposensitive. For instance, he loves ramming into things and people. He will run into the middle child (who is hypersensitive and screams like he is dying) and the little one will just laugh and think it's very funny. The other day we did a big round of shopping and he was very active, runs away from me often and difficult, this is normal. He's over 40 lbs of very solid child and is hard for me to carry. That night at bath time I was taking off his shoes and found that he had worn to big blisters on the inside of both feet but he never indicated he was in pain...he didn't seem to feel it until I put him into the bath water.

The other big issue is that at 3.5+ years he has *zero* interest in potty training. I have tried everything. We have done charts, stars, treats, toys, sitting and sitting, & Potty Training in a Day method (with salty treats, lots of drinks, potty doll and rewards for going). I bought an expensive anatomically-correct baby boy potty doll. We have watched potty videos and read potty books. Nothing interests him. He doesn't want to sit, but will sit for a few minutes if I read to him. But never does anything. He has only peed in the potty once or twice, once may have been on purpose, the other was an accident.

When I leave him naked on his bottom half he will hold his water for hours. But if you put on a pair of underwear or pullups are put on he will go. If asked if he is wet or dirty he always denies it and will run away. He doesn't want to be changed and it doesn't bother him to be dirty for a long time.

Since I finished my degree in May and have been home completely full time I thought that I could be consistent with him and he would be at least somewhat trained by now but instead he has regressed in other areas. He has started carrying his nighttime lovies around and seems to be determined to not "grow up". He doesn't want to be a Big Boy.

I'm at my wits end with the potty training and starting to wonder how it's possible for yet another child to have these issues. I really don't feel that he has autism, he really looks at people and works a kind of charm. But he is extremely strong-willed and doesn't seem to care what anyone says or thinks about him. He's like a "bull in a china shop". I don't know if I'm deluding myself on the autism issue or not.

I feel like maybe I should push for some kind of evaluation but feel like the system will fail me again (as they did with my older son who was more obviously *odd*). When people see Jamie they always comment on how cute he is. Sometimes he seems very bright and charming. I am pushing the exhaustion envelope most of the time just dealing with daily stuff for my kids and family and just don't know if I can take another round of evaluations that don't do any good.

Is it common for all the children in one family to have these kinds of issues? Thoughts? :confused:

Is it common for all the children in one family to have these kinds of issues? Thoughts? :confused:

Yes, it is very common for multiple or all of the children in one family to have these kinds of issues. There is definitely a genetic link to autistic spectrum disorders.

It sounds like your little guy could benefit from an evaluation.

My son didn't potty train until he was 5. He has a few quirks but I don't think he would be diagnosed with anything. The problem for him I think was not feeling the sensation to know he needed to go. He also was not interested. If I had known about Therapeutic Listening it may have helped him be more aware of his body sensations. I have been told that some kids potty train after undergoing treatment with this.