Menu

Can someone explain IEW?

I've been trying to figure out how this program works for writing. I might be asked to teach it for our co-op in the fall, but I'm not sure how it even works. Someone is going to loan me her DVD to check out, but in the meantime can someone explain to me how it is set up? I can only seem to find limited information on the actual layout of the program. What I'm specifically looking for is what are the lessons like? What am I doing in the class, and what will I be expecting from 3-5th graders?

I've been trying to figure out how this program works for writing. I might be asked to teach it for our co-op in the fall, but I'm not sure how it even works. Someone is going to loan me her DVD to check out, but in the meantime can someone explain to me how it is set up? I can only seem to find limited information on the actual layout of the program. What I'm specifically looking for is what are the lessons like? What am I doing in the class, and what will I be expecting from 3-5th graders?

These are excellent questions, and I'm not sure I have time to do justice to answering them completely. I have used IEW for a few years, and it works very well for my kids. I'd definitely look at your friend's DVD as soon as possible, but even they might be overwhelming.

Basically, there are 9 units:

I. Note making & outlines

II. Summarizing from notes

III. Summarizing narrative stories

IV. Summarizing a reference

V. Writing from pictures

VI. Library research projects

VII. Creative writing (with structure)

VIII. Formal essay

IX. Formal critique

Within those units, students learn "dress-ups" and stylistic devices to improve their writing.

Of course, you wouldn't want to cover all the units with 3rd-5th graders. Depending on how long your class meets, you might do the first four or so units ... Once you understand the system, lessons are very straightforward. Have you looked at the IEW catalog? It probably has a better description than what I've provided:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=start

Does this help at all?

Tiffany

You first need to get your hands on the syllabus that accompanies the DVD's. There you will see appropriate suggestions for grade levels as well as samples. The terminology used in IEW is also a learning curve so , the sooner you get the material in your hands the easier it will be to understand suggestions:)

Personally I would do units 1-5 with a 5th grader I would only do Units 1-3, and 4 with a 3rd grader. If you have them write from one model of your choosing, you will have to make the model material easier than 3rd grade. The idea is they will alter the model, with dress-ups, better vocabulary, and sentence openers. If you plan on having them use their own material, then you can assign it from a history topic or science topic which I find much easier once they get the idea.

Modeling

If one word could some up IEW, modeling would.

It doesn't really matter what grade level the kids are. They would all be starting at the same place as you or me. Depending on the amount of time you have and the child, they will progress at different rates.

Example:

Give a non-fiction paragraph of 5-8 sentences at an easy reading level.

Circle the three most impotant words in each sentence.

Write the words down in IEW's outline format

Tell the paragraph to a friend with only your outline in complete sentence with eye contact.

Make a "style" list. This is where skill level varies greatly. A list of 4 strong action verbs might be a starting point for some. Others are ready for a list of verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and some phrase models for varying sentence structure.

Write your paragraph from your outline using each "style" technique your teacher has assigned.

Edit for grammar, spelling, punctuation mistakes. I give each child a list of editing they are responsible for.

IEW is great because now I don't try to teach everything at once.i.e., fix everything I see wrong. They are done when they've included the stylistic techniques on their individualized check off sheets and edited.

:auto: Hope you get to take this curriculum for a drive.

I'm wondering when the child transitions from copying someone else's ideas to writing about his own ideas. Is there a unit that teaches the student how to write a paragraph on his own?

Sure. creative writing is unit 7. writing from pictures is unit V.

They start writing on their own in their own words immediately. That's the point of the key word outline. They may be summarizing but they are certainly free to interpret.

In the seminar my ds did with Mr Pudewa, they had 2 source texts about birds. They could write a summary of one or if they were ambitious they could write a combo.

My ds took off and wrote a paragraph about a bird which combined traits of both. He called it the Flaming Death Bird and it played punk rock from the roof tops.

:lol: