Menu

Help me understand ITBS scores

JeanM

I'm very confused now by my dss ITBS scores. Last year I gave them both the ITBS that was appropriate for their grade (1st and 3rd grade by age). This year I advanced them both two years instead of one, giving them the 3rd and 5th grade tests. It says on the score sheet that their grade levels are 2nd and 4th (correct by age). They both did well, I think their composite scores were the same as last year, or possibly a point higher.

I'm assuming that this means that they were compared to 2nd and 4th graders given the same test. I probably should have somehow marked them as 3rd and 5th grades, although I don't remember marking the grade level.

Does this mean that their scores are artificially high? I'm assuming their percentiles would be lower if they were compared to 3rd and 5th graders. :confused:

Jean

Don't you get 2 scores? One percentile compared to the grade and one percentile compared to their actual agemates? Or is that another test?

There is only one percentile comparison, the "NPR" or national percentile rank.

They do also give the "GE" or grade equivalent, which I assume is not affected by the actual grade level of the child.

Their scores would have been lower if they had been compared to older kids. How much lower depends where the scores fell on the curve. The closer to average, the quicker the change.

Hmm. So does that mean if most of their scores are above 90th percentile, than they probably would not be that different if they were compared to the grade above?

I'll have to think about this in terms of what to do next year.

Thanks for the info, it confirms what I was thinking.

Jean

I can tell you how it worked out for my son. He took the 8th grade ITBS in 7th grade and I got both sets of scores. Scores at the 99th %ile went down anywhere from 0-4 points. Scores at the 96th-98th %ile went down 5 points. Scores in the high 80s/low 90s went down 6 points. One in the low 80s went down 8 points and one in the high 70s went down 11 points.