Menu

Ideas for Saving Money on Curriculum Resources?

This is my first year homeschooling. DD is rising 5th grader. We were planning to follow the book's main recommendations, mostly, but right now I'm examining ways I can save cash (after pricing the resources on Amazon!).

Kingfisher is thankfully a reference book in our library, so we can save money there as it will always be available. Her supplementary reading in history will also be mostly library, although I'm looking at the Jackdaws (but they're so expensive).

I've got spelling taken care of with online resources, and am exploring some of the math online resources mentioned in another thread in this board, but am not sure how to make a syllabus or learning plan out of those resources.

What other ways can we save money on the necessary resources? She's taking Latin, French, logic, grammar, reading, and biology, in addition to the above-mentioned. (I've got art and music covered.)

Specific recommendations as well as general advice both welcome and greatly appreciated! :bigear: (<= I'm all ears!)

The most common ways to save $ seem to be

Use the library.

Use the internet (Jackdaws are a waste of $--everything is avail online, btw)

Buy used and sell when done.

Make a well-informed choice and give it a go before switching. Try not to fall victim to "grass is greener" syndrome!

Thanks Chris - do you mean the actual Jackdaws' content is online? That's awesome! Is there an online list of links somewhere, or a list of their resources, so I know what to Google? The website I saw seemed to just have a few representative descriptions of specific content.

There are some great Latin and Greek resources at this website. This is my favorite site for these subjects.

If you do a search on the curriculum boards you'll likely find a lot of online resources. I've seen many posts on the subject.

For planning, get an idea of the resource you'll be using and create a lesson plan from it. I'd not try to get too detailed in the lesson plans too far out. Plan for months or weeks, then break it down into individual days over the course of the next month. I do a rolling three to four week plan for my daily lessons, and general weekly plans beyond that. Homeschool Tracker is a great resource for planning.

Enjoy the journey!!

Once you get your curriculum, don't keep looking at all the other cool resources you could get. This was where I spent the most money. Buying too much "extra" stuff that I didn't have time for and my son didn't use. Unless there is a real problem with your curriclum, don't switch, just so you can findthe perfect curriculum.

Look through our co-op's enrichment curriculum. We're doing everything with books from the library (with the exception of biology which is Real Science-4-Kids). You may be able to use it as is, or modify some of the subjects to fit your learner.