Menu

math vocab.

thowell

Does anyone know where I can get math vocabulary for helping my daughter do her word problems? She is 9 and good at math but has a problem with word problems. She forgets what the vocab means (ex. sum, difference, estimate). Our budget is pretty much spent so I was hoping for something simple I could just print for free and have her place in the front of her math binder. Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can get math vocabulary for helping my daughter do her word problems? She is 9 and good at math but has a problem with word problems. She forgets what the vocab means (ex. sum, difference, estimate). Our budget is pretty much spent so I was hoping for something simple I could just print for free and have her place in the front of her math binder. Thanks!

I have found Math Detective very good for this. It gives a word problem and asks sequential questions that guide you through the steps and also makes you go back and find in which sentence you find the "evidence" for your answer. It makes them slow down and read all the parts of the problem and figure out how it fits together.

I use the books, although I think there's also software. Book is cheaper. It's not free, though. :tongue_smilie:

I just copy one problem a week for them to do as a supplement (copying is okay within family).

Open her math book and/or your teacher manual.

Write the words on 3x5 cards (usually are bolded words?) also use any words she doesn't "understand" in her daily math.

Write the meanings on the back

Note page numbers on back of the card in bottom right corner.

Flash these to her.

The wrong ones go into a "wrongs" discard pile.

The correctly answered cards go into a "got it correct" discard pile.

When hands are empty, pick up the "wrongs" pile.

Lather Rinse Repeat

until all "wrongs" have made it into the "got it correct" discard pile.

Then

MathVocab is done for the day.

Start with 3 cards.

When she gets all 3 right on the first try,

then tomorrow....add 3 more cards, leaving the original three in the daily deck.

When the day comes she gets all 6 correct on the first try, then

tomorrow

add 3 more cards to the Daily Deck.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

If you get too many cards,

separate the super easy ones to a "Monday Stack"

Do those only on Mondays

If she gets any wrong from the "Monday stack" they go into the "daily deck" for daily review.

:seeya: