Menu

Winter Promise Users...Please Help!

kanagnostos

Ds10 will be doing American history this year for the first time. I understand that the All-American program is a sort of combination of AS1 and AC1 for families with children of varied ages. Would it make sense for me, with just one child, to order AA1?

I am completely unable to make a decision between AS1 and AC1. I like the resources from both of them. Ds is a good reader. In fact, he has read a book from each program and enjoyed them both. Most of the books from both programs are available at my library, so I really need to order just the IG and the exclusives/consumables/craft kits. But which program...AS1, AC1, AA1? :banghead:

HELP!

I like AS 1 for up to 2nd grade. Beyond that, I'd go with AC1.

Disclaimer--I haven't used all of AS 1, but I had the books and I still have the teacher's guide. I think the Maestro books in particular are a little more 1st-2nd grade. They could still be used, imo, by a 3rd grader, but that would be pushing it.

Edited by Chris in VA
Oh, DUH--I see your child is 10.

I used AAI ---but I had varied ages (5, 10, 12). Have you looked on the Home School in the Woods site at the Time Travelers readings? That will be your spine reading for AAI or ACI. I think ACI would be great for a 10 yo or go with ASI knowing it might be light and add in books or other non-history related topics for your ds to study. While we really enjoyed AAI, I'm not sure I would spend the money on the set if I only had one dc using it - but then my library didn't have the majority of books.

Have you looked on the Home School in the Woods site at the Time Travelers readings? That will be your spine reading for AAI or ACI.

We have looked at the samples of the Time Travelers readings. I also found the AS1 spine at the bookstore, and we looked at that. Ds liked them both, so I couldn't use that as a way to decide. As for the cost, I am thinking that AC1 and AA1 would be about the same. I would have to purchase the IG and the Time Travelers, since we will be using the library for most of the rest. For AS1, I would have to purchase the IG and the craft kits.

I attended the Brooks' WinterPromise Retreat in April. Karen Brooks (author of the curriculum) said that by using the AA1, a student would lose a bit of the "cohesiveness" of each program. The goals of AS1 and AC1 are different, and by combining the goals become "watered down" a bit, she said. Therefore, it's a program for use by families with a number of children throughout the age ranges, who must of necessity have a hybrid in order to accomplish a program.

If it's truly a "tie" (hard for me to imagine as the programs are SO different!), I'd decide by thinking whether the child will be going through Amer history another round later. My ds WILL, and I plan to use AC1 along with Hakim at that time (eighth grade), so we are doing AS1 and AS2 for grades 2 and 3. If yours will NOT, perhaps you should choose the more advanced program. You could always let him read some of the AS1 materials as "book basket" material even though WP programs don't typically require any supplementing.

If it's truly a "tie" (hard for me to imagine as the programs are SO different!), I'd decide by thinking whether the child will be going through Amer history another round later.

Really? Could you tell me more about how you find them so different (apart from the obvious, such as different books, reading levels, spines, etc.)?

It's the Time Travelers set which makes such a big difference. That's a WHOLE LOT of work, and the text portion which forms the spine of the AC program is much different from the books used in AS1. (I don't consider American Story:100 True Tales to be a spine there. It's sort of a spineless program, with the notebooking and teacher guide acting as a spine).

Also, as another poster pointed out, the Native American focus is a huge part of AS1. Going from that to geography as a focus gives AC1 a completely different flavor.