Menu

A little Intro and questions

TulaneMama

Hi! I am Ashley, mama to DS10 (almost), DD4 (freshly), DD21 and wife to an amazing father and soldier. I am LOVING the boards here and am glad that I came.

Up until loast year we followed TWTM but last year did k12 while DH was deployed and I was ill. THis year we plan on returning to mostly k12.

We have just moved and I have yet to locate my book so I was hoping for a little guidance on what to do this year as we need to get things going. :D

DS is an avid reader, loves history, is fantastic at vocabulary and does very well with spelling. He needs help with writing. HE can do it but it is like pulling teeth :lol: I think he is fairly average in terms of his mathematical skills. For Math we will use MUS (need to take the placement test) Any and all help appreciated ;)

I also want to get DD started on some things. She is very ready. I have thought about using BFIAR with her but am not feeling certain about anything. My goals for her this year are:

know and recognize the alphabet

count to 20 and recognize the numbers

know the basic shapes

know her colors

i think I could spend all night reading information here. next time I will be prepared with pen and paper.

Hi! I am Ashley, mama to DS10 (almost), DD4 (freshly), DD21 and wife to an amazing father and soldier. I am LOVING the boards here and am glad that I came.

Up until loast year we followed TWTM but last year did k12 while DH was deployed and I was ill. THis year we plan on returning to mostly k12.

We have just moved and I have yet to locate my book so I was hoping for a little guidance on what to do this year as we need to get things going. :D

DS is an avid reader, loves history, is fantastic at vocabulary and does very well with spelling. He needs help with writing. HE can do it but it is like pulling teeth :lol: I think he is fairly average in terms of his mathematical skills. For Math we will use MUS (need to take the placement test) Any and all help appreciated ;)

I also want to get DD started on some things. She is very ready. I have thought about using BFIAR with her but am not feeling certain about anything. My goals for her this year are:

know and recognize the alphabet

count to 20 and recognize the numbers

know the basic shapes

know her colors

Hello, and welcome!

I'm not sure exactly what your questions are ... Which parts of K12 will you NOT be using?

We do use MUS and think it's a great program. The placement test would be an excellent place to start. For your 4yo, I wouldn't get too stressed out, but just gently expose her to the things you'd like her to learn without a formal curriculum. I've only glanced at BFIAR, so I can't comment on it. I've found that my own almost-4yo has picked up so much from being around her older siblings (11yo and 10yo) that she's ready to work on learning to read and do a little with math. When she's in the mood, we use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, and I plan to introduce MUS Primer later in the fall.

Tiffany

thanks ladies!

sorry for the confusion about k12 - we will NOT be using k12 this year. So I am looking to get started and can't find my WTM book so as to use it as a guide for 5th grade.

How is the MUS primer? DS is going to take a grammar test today so that will give me a better idea of where to start with him.

thanks ladies!

sorry for the confusion about k12 - we will NOT be using k12 this year. So I am looking to get started and can't find my WTM book so as to use it as a guide for 5th grade.

Perhaps you could borrow TWTM from the library until you find your own copy? Not sure if this will help, but my 5th grader will be doing the following this year:

Sonlight Core 6 - History & Literature

MUS Delta (close to finished), then Epsilon

Life of Fred: Fractions (as a supplement)

Phonetic Zoo A

Fix-It

IEW (Ancient History-Based Lessons), supplemented with SL LA 6

Poetry Memorization (IEW)

Maps, Charts, & Graphs E

Sonlight Science 6 & Story of Science

First Start French (taking a break from Latin)

Violin lessons

Story of Painting & Drawing Basics

Ballet

Critical Thinking Activities

Religious education (both at church and home)

Well, at least that's the plan for now. We'll see how it all works out.

Does that help at all?

Tiffany