Menu

Is it legal in PA to offer to homeschool for a fee another's child?

Is it legal in PA to offer to homeschool for a fee other people's children? I was reading another thread and it occurred to me it could be a nice way to earn extra income while staying at home with my ds. One caveat is the I currently use a public cyber charter school for my ds. I am also not a certified teacher. I am an RN.

I appreciate any info:)

Edited by priscilla

You would be a "private tutor". Does PA law regulate that category?

When we lived in AL, one of the homeschooling options was to have the children taught by a private tutor. (perhaps had to be a "certified teacher", though. I don't remember)

We paid a "private tutor" to teach 9th grade science and math to our eldest son. For his 10th and 11th grade years, we paid a different individual to teach Russian and English. (Math and science reverted to us.)

Are you thinking of "full service teaching" of non-family members, or "a la carte" (by the subject) ?

I don't know that I would want to do "full service" for a non-family student. There is no inherent "authority" for me as teacher from the student's perspective, nor could I remonstrate (the PC word for consequences) with the student should he or she prove noncompliant. There could be issues of the parent wanting one type of teaching, and me disagreeing. What if "Junior" earned poor grades, and his parents were angry, blaming me? So much to consider. . .

Edited by Orthodox6

Hi Priscilla,

I live in Pa, and it's my understanding you cannot homeschool someone outside of your family unless you are a certified teacher. Of course, I would confirm this by googling the Pa laws, but I'm fairly confidant this is accurate. Pa laws are pretty strict in homeschooling.

Good luck!!

Lisa