Menu

Workbox System? Not in love with it.

Mommamia

Am I the only one not doing this? I understand the idea and think it's wonderful if it's working for people and that they enjoy it. But, I'm just not on the workbox train.

Should I be??

We mostly just have our pile that we like to accomplish and then we do it. I guess I hate being restricted to having to do what is in the boxes if their interest goes in another direction(or mine does).

My younger ones, 5 and 3, love using workboxes. In fact, before I implemented them, my 3yo was not really interest at all in doing lessons. He can't wait to get started now!

I can see how they wouldn't appeal so much to more relaxed HSers though. Just keep doing what works best for you!

Trains come and trains go...the important thing is to get on the one that takes you where you want to go. If this isn't the thing for you, you definitely don't need to try to make it fit because it is the "in" thing right now. For me, I am going to give it a go. For the last two years we have used the "fly by the seat of the pants" approach :001_smile: which worked okay with a young one. Now that she is getting older, I want to practice more preparation and organization, which this will help me with. I also want to foster more independence in her day, and I am hoping this will help with that as well. Most importantly, I want to make sure to add things that otherwise fall through the cracks around here (like music, science projects and crafts). This seems like a good way for me to make that happen. I'm also planning out a workday for the beginning of each quarter to purchase all the supplies for craft projects, science labs and art and then organize them into individual projects. We'll see how it all goes...but for me it will be worth the try.

Edited by Dawn E

We are going to start workboxes soon, so I can't say for sure if it will work for us; however, it struck me immediately as making so much sense for my brain and for my older son. Ds is fidgity, always wanting to know "are we done yet?" and works well with visual things. For us, it seems (in theory) the perfect fit. After reading about and researching it, I'm going to give it a try.

If I find his interests being pulled another way, I believe the boxes will provide a great opportunity for me to incorporate other avenues to explore those interests since some of the boxes are for "fun" (although still educational) stuff. As others have said, I think they'll provide us the chance to add in those fun things which I can cater to his interests or use to enhance our current curriculum.

It's okay if workboxes aren't right for your family. It's whatever works best for you and your children. Who knows? I may be switching things up for us halfway through the year! :)

After reading that thread I had a lightbulb moment. I don't have to do the system as written, but I can glean from it and modify it to work for our family. There are some great ideas here! I have a vision in my head-now I need to figure out how to make it reality.

I'm still not in love with it, but we are courting and growing fonder of each other :)

It's not my thing either. I don't like planning ahead. I know that sounds odd, but I have a weekly lesson plan hanging on my china cabinet, have all the books in the cabinet, and like choosing the activities that day. I'll plan ahead for science experiments, art projects, and field trips, but that's it.

I did give it a shot, though. I had the whole setup made and the night before I put ripped-out workbook pages, the books we were reading, the pages for copywork, a notebook, a puzzle, and a checklist. Ds didn't like it at all. And I knew I wasn't going to do THAT every day.

I'm a very organized person, but I cringe at overkill.

After reading that thread I had a lightbulb moment. I don't have to do the system as written, but I can glean from it and modify it to work for our family. There are some great ideas here! I have a vision in my head-now I need to figure out how to make it reality.

I'm still not in love with it, but we are courting and growing fonder of each other :)

This is my view as well. I am not implementing it fully, but I'm gleaning from it what I hope will be of benefit to my family.

When I first read about workboxes, I thought...there is no way. After seeing some threads about how people modify it, I think it can be a great thing. My problem here is I am too relaxed. I think the system or some variation of it, will help me. I am guilty of purchasing things and never touching them. It's not that I don't want to, I just forget what we have and get overwhelmed with how to make it all work.

My plan for workboxes is to us those drawer towers I see people posting. I'm making a list of all the extra stuff I would like to get done in the week but rarely do it. Examples would be art, critical thinking workbooks, flash master, reading, science experiments, spanish practice worksheets from tudor, educational computer stuff, ect. I can glance at my list of extras and fill some boxes each day. Of course in addition to our normally scheduled stuff. I am looking forward to it actually.

I think it will help with my little, about to turn 5yo as well. While we are doing our schoolwork, he can see exactly what he'll be doing for the day and I can put extra fun stuff in there to keep him occupied.

We'll see how it actually goes in September. :001_smile:

Sandy

Am I the only one not doing this? I understand the idea and think it's wonderful if it's working for people and that they enjoy it. But, I'm just not on the workbox train.

Should I be??

We mostly just have our pile that we like to accomplish and then we do it. I guess I hate being restricted to having to do what is in the boxes if their interest goes in another direction(or mine does).

Workboxes may or may not be the thing for you, but perhaps you could have "CHOICE" boxes, "PERSONAL INTEREST TIME boxes," or something similiar? Workboxes are really so flexibile that the possibilities are endless. You can have as many or as few "required" boxes as you like. You can change your mind and rotate games, art, music or whatever through whenever the fancy strikes.

That said, if what you are doing is working, then why change?