Menu

Would finishing 3/4 of TOG be OK??

Hey guys. TOG year 3 looks SO full for my 9th grader. I've been typing up a syllabus of assignments. I am keeping history as is, but modifying the literature greatly. For history, he also has church history in it. I know we will watch many more documentaries, but I'll put them in as we watch them. Sometimes we get a Netflix and go yuck and quit watching.

Books, Materials List, Resources: ( Entire resource used unless otherwise noted.)

The American Presidency Edited by Alan Brinkley and Davis Dyer

Introduction through U.S.Grant

The Early American Republic 1789-1829 by Paul E Johnson

The Revolutionary Era 1789-1850 By Charles Breunig and Matthew Levinger

Antebellum America 1784-1850 Editor William Dudley

Simon Bolivar The Liberator by Guillermo A. Sherwell

The Age of Nationalism and Reform, 1850-1890 by Norman Rich

The Victorian Internet by Tom Standage

In the Days of Queen Victoria by Eva March Tappan

The Morman Trail and Latter Day Saints by Carol Rust Nash

American History by Era: The Civil War 1850-1895 Book Editor Auriana Ojeda

Eyewitness to the Civil War by Hyslop and Kagan

The Gilded Age: A History in Documents Janette Thomas Greenwood ch 6-11, ch 7

Imperialism: A History in Documents pp. 6-39

Movies/Documentaries:

HBO’s John Adams

Victoria and Albert

Church History Component:

The Universe Next Door ch 1 & 2

Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce

William Carey: Obliged to Go

Adoniram Judson: Danger on the Streets of Gold

Modern Revivalsim ( ch 1-

The Tragic Tail of Narcissa Whitman by Cheryl Harness

Pigtail and Chopsticks Man by Jim Cromarty

The Civil War as Theological Crisis

For English I he will do Analytical Grammar, writing and this literature

TOG’s Frameworks and Poetics

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Swiss Family Robinson

The Princess and the Goblin

Edgar Allen Poe Short Stories and Poetry

The Scarlet Letter

A Tale of Two Cities

Huckleberry Finn

The Making of A Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms Mark Strand and Eavan Boland

A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver

Poetry: William Wordsworth, William Blake, Robert Burns, Coleridge,

Lord Byron, Keats, Walt Whitman, Longfellow, Emily Dickenson, Hopkins. Robert Browing, and Alfred Lloyd Tennyson

As I said, this seems pretty full and I still have the last unit to go!!!

Christine

Swiss Family Robinson

The Princess and the Goblin

I don't think that I'd include them in high school study - more late elementary/middle school, I think. Of course, if you are studying a particular literary element that is best exemplified by them, that's another matter. Excluding them might free up your reading list so you can spend more time on the meatier texts.

Laura

I'm pretty certain that TOG says that doing 3/4 of a year plan = 1 credit each for history and literature. I think you're good there.

While I don't disagree with Laura's point about the two books, I think you have a perfectly respectable 9th grade lit class lined up. It looks like you're mixing and matching from the D and R levels?

So are you saying that you will be scheduling all 36 weeks of history? The Year 3 credits document explains what needs to be covered to give credit, as Stephanie said 3/4 of the lit and writing assigned, for history it's covering 32 weeks. Have you seen the reduced rhetoric literature schedule on the Loom? It's at the end of the Teaching Rhetoric Literature document. Two of my son's favorites of the year were in unit four: The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Crime and Punishment. I completely understand though, there is a lot of work scheduled in year 3, I cut out a lot of the church history readings and assignments.

I'm not doing Les Miserables ( I've never managed to make it through it!) I've also eliminated Faust. I substituted A Tale of Two Cities for Great Expectations because it is my favorite novel and I've taught it before. I've never read Great Expectations. I tried a couple of weeks ago, but I like A Tale of Two Cities much better. I Know Princess and the Goblin is too easy, but I wasn't sure what to substitute. Swiss Family Robinson seemed respectable for 9th grade to me, but let me know if you disagree.

4th quarter has Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Heart of Darkness, Crime and Punishment, Ibsen's A Doll's House and An Ideal Husband. All of those works seem more typical of a 12th grader not a 9th grader. The dialectic level has The Jungle Book, Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide and The Importance of Being Earnest. I think they have adaptations of some of those in the dialectic level, but I own all of the regular versions. I'm drawn to those more, especially since I won All Star Cast for my portrayal of Cecily in our high school One Act Play competition.:)

Christine

So are you saying that you will be scheduling all 36 weeks of history? The Year 3 credits document explains what needs to be covered to give credit, as Stephanie said 3/4 of the lit and writing assigned, for history it's covering 32 weeks. Have you seen the reduced rhetoric literature schedule on the Loom? It's at the end of the Teaching Rhetoric Literature document. Two of my son's favorites of the year were in unit four: The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Crime and Punishment. I completely understand though, there is a lot of work scheduled in year 3, I cut out a lot of the church history readings and assignments.

MMM, I'll have to look at those documents. I guess part of my problem is that some of these seem so dark and deep for a 9th grader. I guess what I would call credit for a 9th grader would differ DRAMATICALLY from what I would expect for a 12th grader. Also, this is such a HUGE jump in difficulty from dialectic.. There needs to be more of a better transition. The type of analyzation is more than I did at Baylor as an English major!!! The vocabulary she uses is different like experiment in living??? I have us doing ALL of the frameworks and poetics readings and discusssing them.

It just seems like we have gotten to week 32 to 34 each year and cannot make it to 36. We have our 180 days, but the TOG schedule doesn't allow for any leeway. I would love a 32 week curriculum.

Christine

Christine

I know nothing about the way TOG is set up, but A Doll's House and An Ideal Husband are not difficult reads, as far as I remember, especially if you get a modern translation of the Ibsen. Of the ones you mention, I studied The Importance of Being Earnest in high school (the recent film is good too - we saw it the other day). I think Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde would work for high school too. I wouldn't study The Jungle Book at that level.

Best wishes

Laura

But I might, if my student wasn't quite up to the Rhetoric level selections, and if he had not yet read The Jungle Book. And I love Kipling :)

Laura, TOG generally places 9th graders at their Dialectic level, which is where those less difficult books are listed. If the OP uses the Rhetoric level literature for the rest of high school, her child will have a very good literature education. I wouldn't sweat this for 9th grade. (And I'm remembering what we read in my own senior English class - LOL).

We are doing something similar this year, but for 8th grade - mixing the D and R levels in the hope that he will be ready for all R level in 9th. Many TOG users do not have a 9th grader fully in R level.

I guess I remember 9th grade literature consisting of Romeo and Juliet, A Separate Peace, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tale of Two Cities, and Alas Babylon along with a short story unit. We did one piece every six weeks. My son did a study of Shakespeare in Year 2. I expanded it last year and we studied Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet. We have a Shakespeare Festival in our town and we are seeing Romeo and Juliet this weekend and will talk about it.

Christine