Menu

Chess Curriculum Recommendations?

babysparkler

I'd call several of your local (or not local) chess clubs and ask them, take an average of their replies. ;)

Coakley, Jeff Winning Chess Strategy for kids

Woolum, Al The Chess Tacktics Workbook

Are kind of "lesson" like, not sure what rating is intended audiene.

Seirawan, Yasser Winnin Chess Tactics is in chapters, not really like assignments with answers in the back.

:seeya:

Edited by Moni

Congrats! That's a great rating!

Ummm... this is not a lesson format, but our dc are using a program called Chessimo. It has problems: tactics, strategy, end games, and openings (I think). Another one we are thinking about trying, but don't about yet is Think Like a King. Our older two also play games on ICC and I think some people offer lessons through ICC. In the past they took a few lessons online, but we haven't done that recently. Chessmaster (10th edition) is probably more useful in the beginning, but our oldest likes to watch games between grandmasters and listen to Josh analyze it. As a family we play tournments on chessmaster for fun.

Chessimo would probably be my first recommendation. I think we downloaded it - you could probably google for it.

Congrats! That's a great rating!

Ummm... this is not a lesson format, but our dc are using a program called Chessimo. It has problems: tactics, strategy, end games, and openings (I think). Another one we are thinking about trying, but don't about yet is Think Like a King. Our older two also play games on ICC and I think some people offer lessons through ICC. In the past they took a few lessons online, but we haven't done that recently. Chessmaster (10th edition) is probably more useful in the beginning, but our oldest likes to watch games between grandmasters and listen to Josh analyze it. As a family we play tournments on chessmaster for fun.

Chessimo would probably be my first recommendation. I think we downloaded it - you could probably google for it.

Yes, his rating is still in the "unofficial" section b/c he hasn't played enough tournament games to make it official... but that is where it looks like he will end up. DH & I can't keep up with him :)

Thanks for the ideas. DS loves the Josh analysis too :) I will check out Chessimo!

I'd call several of your local (or not local) chess clubs and ask them, take an average of their replies. ;)

Coakley, Jeff Winning Chess Strategy for kids

Woolum, Al The Chess Tacktics Workbook

Are kind of "lesson" like, not sure what rating is intended audiene.

Seirawan, Yasser Winnin Chess Tactics is in chapters, not really like assignments with answers in the back.

Thanks! I'll check those out!

b/c he hasn't played enough tournament games to make it official

How many tournament games has he played?

Does he not finish his tournaments?

Are these US Chess tournaments?

I was just thinking he should get a rating after his first tourny. :confused:

Does he know chess notation? keep notation on his games?

I was assuming he had a USCF rating.

Does he play against rated players? Is that how the estimated rating comes about?

http://www.uschess.org/

Edited by Moni

This is very interesting to me, as my 7yr. old son is interested in chess and has been playing very well for the past 6 months or so. He doesn't have a rating yet and hasn't played in any tournaments because we can't find a chess club in this area for him!

I will also check into those resources. Thanks for starting this thread! :)

How many tournament games has he played?

Does he not finish his tournaments?

Are these US Chess tournaments?

I was just thinking he should get a rating after his first tourny. :confused:

Does he know chess notation? keep notation on his games?

I was assuming he had a USCF rating.

Does he play against rated players? Is that how the estimated rating comes about?

http://www.uschess.org/

Yes, he has a uscf rating, but he has only played 10 USCF rated tourney games... and I think they say it takes 20 or so before it is considered his official rating? He also plays "unofficially" with rated players that isn't included in his USCF ratings. Yes, he notates. :)

Edited by babysparkler

This is very interesting to me, as my 7yr. old son is interested in chess and has been playing very well for the past 6 months or so. He doesn't have a rating yet and hasn't played in any tournaments because we can't find a chess club in this area for him!

I will also check into those resources. Thanks for starting this thread! :)

I encourage you to sign him up with USCF and have him start tournaments... it is a fabulous learning and motivating experience!

Yes, he has a uscf rating, but he has only played 10 USCF rated tourney games... and I think they say it takes 20 or so before it is considered his official rating

Oh, well he has a history on the Ratings website there then, right?

One that is "getting closer" the more tourneys he plays.

I would ask a toun director for suggestions.