Menu

Cornell homeschool-friendly?

cathmom

My ds is planning to apply there this fall--to the College of Engineering. It's hard to find stuff on these college websites; they're like mazes! Last spring I did finally find homeschool info on the College of Engineering Admissions website, buried in the FAQ. Here's the page... it's about 1/3 of the way down:

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/prospective/undergraduate/admissions-faqs.cfm

We emailed Cornell Engineering in the spring asking about homeschool requirements, and their response quoted this paragraph.

We also visited Cornell in June, and after the Engineering info session we asked the admissions director (who had given the session) about HS requirements. At that time, she said to meet with her later or email, as she had specific homeschool information that she would go over with us. We weren't able to catch her later that day. I have an email in to her, but she was out of the office when I sent it and I haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, I don't know if the info would be different for the other colleges at Cornell, but you could try looking at their admissions webpages under FAQ as well.

My impression is they seem open to homeschoolers--but are looking for as much extra info as possible in order to evaluate the application. I don't know if the info the admissions lady was referring to is more detailed than what's on the webpage or not. I will try to let you know what I find out.

My homeschooled (since mid-first grade) brother just graduated from there, college of Ag. :D I was also accepted (homeschooled since mid-second grade) but left due to health issues and finished closer to home.

He did have a year at a state college first. I had 16 credits from a state college as well. Overall they were pretty friendly to both of us.