Menu

s/o Managers of Their Homes question...

If I remember right, many of the schedules in the book had older children teaching or watching younger children during the school day. Now that I have older children and younger children, all I can think is, "How?" My older children have *very* full days. They cannot afford to take half an hour to instruct a younger one in reading. So I'm curioius, does anyone actually use this model?

I do! Well, to an extent that is. My oldest just turned 5, and my girls are 2 and 1. I have a 30 min time slot where my son, the oldest, takes care of his sisters. I am always readily available and can see and hear EVERYTHING so I don't worry any of the children will be hurt. I also have the room totally baby proof! For that 30 min he tends to her (mainly the 1 year old as my 2 year old thinks she is too old to need him). He gets her juice and snacks and plays games with her or whatever it is she might want to do. Oh, and when I say 1, I mean just turned 1 on June 19th!

I do this for several reasons. First, I want mys on to learn to protect his sisters. Not to parent them, but to care for their best interest, especially if someone else is harming them or being mean to them. Second, it is good for him to enjoy his sisters. Third, it's nice for my girls to know that I have other things to do during the day. It's taught all of us good discipline. Now...would I run to the store and leave my 5 year old with the girls. HECK NO! Would I trust him with them for anything big or major? NO WAY! But, given structured toys and a baby proof environment, its been good for us all.

I am actually looking to take in 5 students this fall to tutor and want to do it from 4:30-5:30 and because my son is taught to care for his sisters, I will have no problem tutoring with the 3 kids in the home. If he needs me, he knows where to find me (our house is only 1200 sq ft. I can hear everything!).

I know he's only 5 and his day isn't as full as your kids I'm sure, there is always a 30 min segment he can cut out to help me with the girls. This is part of family dynamic and our family life. If you can't squeeze 30 min a day for your kids to help you and their siblings, then he's way too busy, IMHO!

Jessica

Jessica

If I remember right, many of the schedules in the book had older children teaching or watching younger children during the school day. Now that I have older children and younger children, all I can think is, "How?" My older children have *very* full days. They cannot afford to take half an hour to instruct a younger one in reading. So I'm curioius, does anyone actually use this model?

I think it comes back to the prayer & prioritization. Although it wasn't one of our original reasons for choosing hs, one of the greatest benefits we've seen from it is the relationship that's developed between our dc, so it's a priority for me to make time for that. Now, that said, I don't really have to MAKE time for it--that's what they sneak off to when I'm not paying attention, lol.

One of the decisions I've been facing is that if we do school the way I want to, the dc don't have time for the level of chores we've assigned. Having 4 dc, 2 of them so little, hs'ing, & keeping house, I can't do it all w/out their help. So I've had to decide to a) lower my standards of housekeeping & feeding, b) lower my standards of school, or c) hire help.

Ultimately, I think c) would be best, so I'm working on writing curriculum & other little projects to try to make some $. Until then, I've done a combination of a & b.

I'm writing an article about my great-grandparents, who lived during the Great Depression, & looking at their lives has really opened my eyes. They weren't so different from me, except that Grandmother only had 2 kids, she had hired help, & she wasn't hs'ing. We tend to think people in the past have done a lot more than us, & sometimes that's definitely true, but...not always, kwim?

So, prioritize & pray. It's not easy, because I don't want to give up my ideas. I want my dc to study Latin, & not later, NOW. LOL But something's gotta give.

Hmmm. It appears I didn't express myself properly. My older children have *very* sweet relationships with their younger siblings. They are *incredibly* helpful, doting, and eager to spend time with them. During lunch break it would be impossible to separate them. After school hours, they are always willing (and sometimes just ask) to watch the little ones. During school hours, I just don't require it of my oldest children. (Now the younger schoolers have shorter days, so they may have a play time with a non-school age child.)

What I'm wondering is whether those of you with older children (middle school or older) ever have them teach a phonics or math lesson to a younger sibling?

Hoping I am not offending those of you with younger students. I never realized our days would be so busy even a few years ago.

Edited by Jane

Hmmm. It appears I didn't express myself properly. My older children have *very* sweet relationships with their younger siblings. They are *incredibly* helpful, doting, and eager to spend time with them. During lunch break it would be impossible to separate them. After school hours, they are always willing (and sometimes just ask) to watch the little ones. During school hours, I just don't require it of my oldest children. (Now the younger schoolers have shorter days, so they may have a play time with a non-school age child.)

What I'm wondering is whether anyone who has children of middle school age (or older) that helps teach a younger child how to read or present a math lesson. If so, how do you fit it into your schedule?

Hoping I am not offending those of you with you younger students. I never realized our days would be so busy even a few years ago.

I hope my answer didn't offend you! I didn't mean that kids wouldn't have a sweet relationship if the time wasn't scheduled--just that I could see someone doing so for that reason. We haven't scheduled the time for bigs to teach the littles, either, & I KNOW it would be more poss now than it will be later.

I was just broadly saying that to add something else--which is what I thought you were saying you maybe wanted to do--you have to let something go. I see, now, though--it was more of a how on EARTH do y'all do it. I imagine those who do are shifting priorities elsewhere.

Now I"m going to get off your thread & hope you get answers from people w/ big kids. Sorry! :001_smile:

I was just broadly saying that to add something else--which is what I thought you were saying you maybe wanted to do--you have to let something go. I see, now, though--it was more of a how on EARTH do y'all do it. I imagine those who do are shifting priorities elsewhere.

Now I"m going to get off your thread & hope you get answers from people w/ big kids. Sorry! :001_smile:

LOL! You definitely see my point. :)

Don't feel bad for responding, at least it helps me phrase my question better!

Yes, we do this. My older kids really appreciate the break from schoolwork, and my little guys LOVE the time with older sibs. I don't have them instruct youngers, per se. Usually they just play. We make it happen because it's a priority for us. We are able to be more efficient when the littles are occupied, as well.

I have had varying degrees of success with this.

My oldest would have LOVED the time with her 4yo sister, but with her academic schedule, and piano, and ballet - well, it just didn't fit.

The issue we had last year - whoever got the 4yo "last" in the rotation (say, around 11 a.m.) was dealing with a slightly cranky, tired playmate. So I'm hoping to rotate the playmates this year. . . . . .

We've done this, even though the olders are crammed with work. Our schooling is very important, but their time together (becoming friends, loving one another, etc.) is more so. I''ve had to make some difficult choices to fit it in, but they are family forever... I want them to make memories together. To echo former posters, I haven't had them "teach" a subject, but just constructively play, or read together. It helps me get my work done - or at least mostly done :)

Hope this helps...