Menu

Pandia Press R.E.A.L. Science?

HeatherM

Does anyone have experience with this science curriculum? I can't find a hard print copy of the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey Life Science curriculum. I went to the links they had on their website, but it didn't look like the vendors carried their science books. It looks like I have to purchase it as an e-book. I don't like that so much. Does level one mean that it is for first graders? I didn't think their website explained their products very well.

HeatherM

Classical Home Education has life science for sale here:

http://www.classicalhomeeducation.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=346&category_id=82

It's meant to be a multi-age curriculm for grades 1-4. I would recommend downloading the sample file from the Pandia Press site and looking it over. It will tell you what the program covers and what supplies you will need.

Thank you, Kel and Lisa. I think it looks like a fun curriculum. I will be teaching this to a first grader and a fourth grader. Do I need to purchase student pages for both? Or just buy one set as an e-book, and then print however many off I need? When I purchase the Life Science book for $45 does it include any student pages? Are the student pages just coloring or are they really useful?

Heather

If you buy the main eBook, that is all you need for any number of children in your family. It is complete, and you just print off any pages you like for your family's use. I uploaded the entire file to FedEx Office to see how much it would cost to print and it was around $18, if I am remembering correctly. For my second child, I will only need some of the pages, so it won't be that much.

If you buy the printed copy of the book, you can tear the student pages out of it for one child. The pages are perforated or you can buy the pages unbound. I believe you would need to buy the eBook version of the student pages for a second child and print those. Or, I guess, if you really did not want to deal with an eBook at all, you could buy a second copy of the entire printed book.

If you look at the sample download on the Pandia site, you will see that some of the pages have a line all around the edge. Those are the student pages. They are more worksheet type pages, not coloring pages, but there are items on the page that your child can color. Hopefully that makes sense. The sample is a good representation of the whole program.

I'm planning on using r.e.a.l science earth/space this coming school year.

You may have already done this, but if you go to their website they have a "try before you buy" PDF file that has 9 life science lessons and 17 labs. Here's the link: (on my computer it takes a few minutes to upload)

http://www.pandiapress.com/Freebie%20RSO%20level%20one.pdf

I'll be using this for 2 kids as well. I'm not a big fan of the ebooks either. They offer a bound version and a looseleaf version, so I've bought the looseleaf version and my plan is to go to staples (or maybe sneak into dh's work!) and copy off just the student pages for each of the kids. Since it won't be bound,it (hopefully) won't be too much of a pain to separate the student pages and run the stack through the copier.

I think it's ok to copy just for your family. (I hope!)

I you buy the printed copy you'll have 1 copy of the student pages you'll need to tear out of the back and you'd have to make copies for the second child. You could also buy the printed copy and then buy the ebook student pages from pandia and be able to print those as often as you like.

I'm an ebook person because then if my kids feel they made and Uber mistake and want to start over I can just print them off another sheet.

The sheets are much more than just coloring. Each lesson there is a "For My Notebook" page which is the reading for it. Then there are 1-3 labs with labsheets for them. Some are diagrams, some are graphs to fill in, etc. It's a really fun program.

Like others have mentioned definitely download the free trial, if you have trouble with it let me know and I'll email you a copy of it. fawkes.academy@gmail.com

We could never get the experiments to work, and ds didn't like the texts that much--preferred books with pictures. OTOH, I think I'm really horrible at teaching science, so maybe you should discount my opinion!

However, I've become a real convert to e-books--so much easier to print up copies, and in my house, hard copies of books get so trashed it's hard to reuse them for the next kid. And the e-book doesn't get lost under the couch...

We used R.E.A.L. Science Life level 1 a few years back when our kids were 9 and 4 and both of them really loved it. We did supplement with books from the library for pictures and more in-depth information, but the basic information given in the materials was good and the experiments were fun and easy. I'm considering going through it again next year (not this fall, next year) with dd who will be 8 when we get there, while ds does high school biology. I want to figure out what he's using and then see how well R.E.A.L. Science Life I meshes, but I suspect it'll be a pretty good match.

Anyway, we loved it and I recommend it all the time. We never used their Earth Science program, though, so I have no input on that.

Since it won't be bound,it (hopefully) won't be too much of a pain to separate the student pages and run the stack through the copier.

The pages tear out nicely. I had no rips. The printing is big and clear and should copy well.

We loved it. Kiddo was so happy to run about and compare heart rates and graph it. I'll never forget how he worked himself up to get a better heart rate. And "learning" to catch something. I just have to mention that experiment to remind him of why we are reviewing something: his neural pathways will get faster and better at it. And making the blood model! (You can see how much fun I had!)

We used A LOT of picture books. Our Goodwill had an endless supply.

I'm planning on using r.e.a.l science earth/space this coming school year.

You may have already done this, but if you go to their website they have a "try before you buy" PDF file that has 9 life science lessons and 17 labs. Here's the link: (on my computer it takes a few minutes to upload)

http://www.pandiapress.com/Freebie%20RSO%20level%20one.pdf

I'll be using this for 2 kids as well. I'm not a big fan of the ebooks either. They offer a bound version and a looseleaf version, so I've bought the looseleaf version and my plan is to go to staples (or maybe sneak into dh's work!) and copy off just the student pages for each of the kids. Since it won't be bound,it (hopefully) won't be too much of a pain to separate the student pages and run the stack through the copier.

I think it's ok to copy just for your family. (I hope!)

This exactly what I plan to do with my loose leaf copy of Earth/Astronomy lessonplan. And YES the publisher states that you may copy for your own children just NOT for a classroom or co-op.