Menu

Rod and Staff Reading, English, Spelling?

sted

What are your opinions on this? I'd use it for grade 2,3 and 5. I have never done a 'Formal" reading program, more CM style, but feel I need to concentrate on my kids reading skills a bit more. I know it's bare bones stuff but does everything have to be exciting? I know lots of people use it for English but what about the readers and reading workbooks?

Thanks for your help,

Shannon

I'm planning on having my son read books and narrate them to me, but still do the reading curriculum. This is my first year using the reading, so I've only briefly looked it over. I like it, and I think my son will do well with it. It has the basics like vocabulary, and story questions. I like the format, and the stories seems decent. I will say that as you go up in their reading program (older grades) their religious pov is more obvious.

I have never used the readers for the younger grades. I had looked at them and thought they were boring. We have used Pathway Readers for 1st through 3rd grade.

I've used the spelling before and I like it. It is a solid spelling program.

We used R&S for 1st grade reading and phonics last year. We loved it. The T.M included vocab practice, and taught a lot more than was in the reader or workbooks. The workbooks did not take long to do, and had some good reinforcement activities after the lesson. I loved it. I haven't done any other higher grades yet.

I like the looks of the spelling, and am planning on using R&S English 2 & handwriting this year. I love everything I use from them.

We've only used the English, but we really liked it! Oh wait, we used a tiny bit of the math for 7th grade, but not enough to get a handle on how much we would like it as a whole program.

Have you checked out the CLE (Christian Light Education) Reading program? I've heard great things about it recently. I haven't used it, just thought I'd throw it out there as an idea for you.