Menu

Curious - When do you start your school year?

chereb

This past year was our first year homeschooling our youngest. We pretty much followed the ps calendar just because we were afraid to do anything else. :confused: Now that we have a year under our belt we feel more comfortable to set our own schedule and we are still in the midst of discussions to see what will work for us. I am leaning towards 6-7 wks on and 1 wk off. We will see!

After years of bucking the system and schooling on our own schedule.....we mostly follow the school schedule. My boys have a ton of friends in the neighborhood and it is nearly inpossible to have school when the PS kids are home. (Our county starts back August 10th.)

But we did take our spring break at a different time this past year. The boys made sure that all of their friends knew that they couldn't ring the doorbell during the PS break. It was torture for all of them. My kids wanted to play and the neighbor kids hung out on the porch until our school day was finished.

I plan on starting part-time at the beginning of August, and then we'll be doing it full-time after Labor Day. I don't follow the school schedule, and I take breaks as we need them. I don't think I could plan out our days off at the beginning of the year because it would drive me nuts if things didn't happen according to my perfect schedule :tongue_smilie:. Instead, I set some bench-marks for myself. I'll divide the number of lessons I have to do and figure out where I'd like to be at the end of every few months. If we're not there, we work a little harder. If we're past that point, it might be a good time to take a few days off and have fun.

You'll do fine :001_smile: