Menu

Splitting Western/Eastern Ancient History -- Book Suggestions?

Guest raving_liberal

Guest raving_liberal

For our first year of homeschooling (my rising 4th grader) we've decided to split ancient history into two parts, covering ancient Western history this year and ancient Eastern history last year, in order to go into both with greater depth.

We've got Western well covered, but would love to hear suggestions for great Eastern-geared texts (histories, biographies, philosophy, myths, activity books, etc. ) for a strong reader.

We are using the Oxford University Press books, I believe they are called The World in Ancient Times. There are separate books for Asia, South Asia, and Africa. They are well written and easy to use. They are available on Amazon, under the title "The Ancient ______ World"

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(

We are gearing up for our second half of SOTW. I just ordered

Prince Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha It was recommended on a thread here and has great amazon reviews.

DD really enjoyed You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Great Wall of China. (recommended for ages 9-12). I thought it had some good information.

We read a picture book on Mulan that recommends one at a higher level, I'll see if I can find it.

Hopefully bumping you up will get you some more replies!

The book that I have is Fa Mulan by Jean & Mow-sien Tseng. The books mentioned by the author are for adults. The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston and the source documents The Song of Mulan and The Art of War written by Sun Tzu.

I was hoping for a 9-12 or Young Adult recommendation. Phooey!

Confucius: Chinese Philosopher: World Cultures Through Time (Primary Source Readers) I just ordered this one... I know nothing about it, but I can let you know after I read it!

Edited by Lovedtodeath