Menu

How do you label your books for your home library?

Do you use those colored dots? Do they stay on? Has anyone tried covering them with a piece of clear tape or something to make them more durable. How about colored tape? What kind? Basically, I would like to divide my books into history with 4 sections according to WTM history cycle and Science also divided into the 4 years of the WTM cycle and then Language arts, art, etc. I don't want to get to detailed, but I want to at least narrow the location of a book down to a shelf or two. Plus, I want it to be easy for my kids to be able to return books to the right shelf. I mostly just need help with marking the books and if you have an idea that isn't too expensive, that would be great, too.

Thanks,

Joy

I don't do that sort of labelling, but I do number series books. I just wrote the number on one of those tiny labels, and then used regular tape to tape it to the spine (long enough to go around to the front and back cover a bit, so it doesn't fall off when opened). Looks like the labels they do in libraries. :)

You can buy special library supplies if you want to, but a regular ol' acid-free type scotch tape is just dandy. And Avery labels come in all sorts of sizes, plus colored dots.

I've been using the colored dots since April, and they are staying on okay, but not great. None have fallen off yet, but I doubt they will last in the long run. With some clear packing tape I'm sure it would be better, but I haven't had the extra time to do it.

We were doing Ambleside Online and I labelled all of the books according to which year they were assigned.

I used mailing labels. I made a different colored square box for each year and put the year number inside the box. I printed them out, one year per page, and had extras for when I added books to our library.

The labels stay on most books very well. There are a few older hardbound books that the labels loosen from easily, but otherwise the labels are sticking after five years of use.

Edited to add: I used the whole label, centering the year on the spine and wrapping the rest of the label to the front and back of the book. I placed the labels at the bottom of each spine and avoided covering the ISBN.

Edited by Mothering7