Menu

Does WWE break down narration TOO much?

HappyGrace

I like the look of WWE, and it looks like a huge help with figuring out how to do narration. But as I was looking at some CM materials about narration, I didn't see that she broke narration down that much. And she specifically says NOT to ask them questions to lead to narration. And both my dc when they were in kindergarten could give more narration-and in a very nice summary-than she asks for in WWE. So is the purpose of WWE to break it down even further for those who are struggling with narration? I realize it's two different methods, probably both fine, but I wondered what others have experienced. And I haven't looked thoroughly into WWE, so I may be missing something.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

CM is going for accurate retelling. WWE is going for summarizing the main point. Two different goals, so two different methods.

:iagree:

Personally, I use both methods. I just make sure I clearly convey what I'm looking for when I ask for each narration, not before I read. Keeps them extra sharp and attentive. :001_smile:

I like the look of WWE, and it looks like a huge help with figuring out how to do narration. But as I was looking at some CM materials about narration, I didn't see that she broke narration down that much. And she specifically says NOT to ask them questions to lead to narration. And both my dc when they were in kindergarten could give more narration-and in a very nice summary-than she asks for in WWE. So is the purpose of WWE to break it down even further for those who are struggling with narration? I realize it's two different methods, probably both fine, but I wondered what others have experienced. And I haven't looked thoroughly into WWE, so I may be missing something.

I agree they have two different goals, thus two different methods.

For my oldest I did it more CM style she is very intuitive and could either summarize or retell without needing to be taught the difference.

My 2nd dd on the other hand wanted to do lengthy narrations in a play setting (lots of direct quotes even if they aren't in the original) and she would add here and there. I couldn't get a good summary or retelling out of her. WWE really helped her over that hurdle, and now she is better at the summary narrations, but she can do both.

Heather

I agree there is a difference between the summary and re-telling methods for WWE and CM.

However, I don't know if this is just my own opinion, but it seems to me that WWE 1 has too much of the "tell me one thing that happened in this passage". I think with my 2nd dd, I'll condense WWE 1 and move her into WWE 2 during the last 6-8 weeks of the school year. WWE1 just seemed to progress a little too slowly (for us, anyway).

I do see that WWE2 appears to increase in difficulty as the year goes on, so I'll have to see how that works with my older dd.

Thank you to all who pointed out the differences between WWE and CM approaches to narration. This is very helpful for me ! Now I understand that the WWE intent really is to be preparing a student for formal outlining. That is a use of the word "narration" quite different from the older usage and meaning, employed by CM.