Menu

Is it too soon to panic?

My son has been completing the CAT 5 test (complete battery) and he was doing swell until yesterday when he was not able to complete the Math Computation portion before running out of time. I'm talking an entire page worth of problems not completed (14 problems). We have always used non timed tests because I know he gets a bit panicky when he's being timed on something. But, sheesh.... I'm worried.

He only has one subtest left to take, the Math Concepts & Applications test. He is so upset by yesterday's test that I know he is going to panic big time with this one. He almost gets sick to his stomach with nerves. All his other tests he has finished with plenty of time to spare, so yesterday really threw him for a loop. This child just does not care for math. He thinks he's terrible at it, and therefore goes into it worried sick, KWIM?

Is it normal to not be able to finish the math portion in the alloted time? (please say yes! :lol:) Is he going to score in the 20% or something??? He has always scored in the high 80 to 90% in math...but again, non-timed. I'm afraid if he scores too low this will cause even further math anxiety!

What to do, what to do. :001_huh:

Stop and think. What is the worst thing that could happen if he does terrible on this test? Anything? Does anyone see this other than you?

Also, you might try to explain that you will be able to use this test to see where *you* need to work harder to explain the concept. Maybe this will take some of the pressure off of him!

Panic isn't going to help either of you...I agree with Cadam...what's the worst that can come of this possibly low score?

The best that could come of it could, perhaps, be the beginning of working on some testing skills.

Also, I think a bigger concern would be if he truly did not understand the concepts, and it sounds as if he does. So, try to remember that, and know that something has gone very well in your math instruction.

Test-taking skills are another issue entirely, and one that you can tackle together now that you know he struggles in that area.

Thanks all!

I have repeatedly explained to him that these tests are for my (and dh's) eyes only. That it's no big deal if he doesn't score well, but to just do his best. But, he still panics. He's one of those children that need to know they are doing well and he is going to ASK to see the score when it comes in. If he does score badly...I worry.

I know he'll score very well in the other subtests. He is very confident in the LA areas, no panicking on those tests. But math? Aiy-yi-yi; panic, anxiety, anger, etc. I'm glad I decided to hold off on Pre-Alg until 8th. One more good strong year in regular math will hopefully be a boost in his confidence. I'm thinking of adding in a supplement. Perhaps some CLE math units for "homework" outside of his regular BJU Math. BJU's (new) Math 7 is going to be pretty intense compared to last year, so maybe some 6th grade Light Units. Something not too terribly challenging, but will give him more practice and review in the basics. I don't know. :confused:

Last year my dd failed to complete SEVEN of the ten tests on the CAT/5. Just took too long and ran out of time. This year, she failed to complete only five of them. One of them, the study skills test, I had to mark invalid because she skipped a bubble on her answer sheet. By the time she and I had figured out what and where things had gone wrong, too much time had elapsed. Many tears over that one.

Math is her weakest subject, but she doesn't hate math, thankfully. She's just a very slow worker, and her math computation skills are slow (just like her dad, who is now a software engineer).

Keep plugging away at math facts or whatever areas he's weak in. This is good practice for our kids who don't test well. Low-stakes assessments, frequently done, will help prepare them for the high-stakes tests in hs. At least, that's what I'm counting on. I'm planning to give my dd the CAT/5 again in the fall to see what progress she's made over the summer.

Last year my dd failed to complete SEVEN of the ten tests on the CAT/5. Just took too long and ran out of time. This year, she failed to complete only five of them. One of them, the study skills test, I had to mark invalid because she skipped a bubble on her answer sheet. By the time she and I had figured out what and where things had gone wrong, too much time had elapsed. Many tears over that one.

Math is her weakest subject, but she doesn't hate math, thankfully. She's just a very slow worker, and her math computation skills are slow (just like her dad, who is now a software engineer).

Keep plugging away at math facts or whatever areas he's weak in. This is good practice for our kids who don't test well. Low-stakes assessments, frequently done, will help prepare them for the high-stakes tests in hs. At least, that's what I'm counting on. I'm planning to give my dd the CAT/5 again in the fall to see what progress she's made over the summer.

Thanks Brenda, that does make me feel better. :D My son doesn't "hate" math either, he just thinks he's no good at it so his confidence level is very, very low. He is also very slow with his computation. Always has been. Answers don't come quickly to him, he must mull them over a while first, and then second guess himself. :lol: Poor fella. I think he gets that from me. :blush: I do NOT think fast ...my brain just doesn't work that way.

Call and check on whether or not it has to be timed at all. We ran into that problem and I called and asked them what they meant by the times are supposed to be guides. Turned out, because we had to use a separate answer sheet, instead of answering in the book, they'd tossed out the time limits.

Talk about relief!

Oddly enough, my ds freaked on that same portion of the same test in May (grade 5). One thing that really freaked my ds out was the way the CAT prints their division signs. Our math program uses straight lines and the CAT test used a curved division sign. I told him it was just a division problem, but he thought he didn't know how to do it. He had a complete meltdown!

I stopped the test and had him take the Concepts and Applications the next day. He only missed 1 on the concepts section. He missed 5 in the computation section which was a 39%ile for that section, so, yes, your ds's score may be low, but I think you just need to ignore that portion of the test for now. If you feel like you need to supplement this school year to improve speed, then find a good drill program, but it really could have just been this test, on this day, with this kid.

Before I gave my ds the Concepts and Applications, I read through the test to make sure there was nothing like a funny font or different question type to stump him. I did go over reading graphs with him the day before I gave the C&A section.

HTH,

Leanna

Call and check on whether or not it has to be timed at all. We ran into that problem and I called and asked them what they meant by the times are supposed to be guides. Turned out, because we had to use a separate answer sheet, instead of answering in the book, they'd tossed out the time limits.

Talk about relief!

Did you use the CAT 5 test? I am seriously tempted to let him finish the test. I KNOW he knows this stuff, and to let him feel like a failure because his computation skills are slow is very off-putting. My directions do give time limits and says we should follow them, but also states that "this is a guide only". :001_huh: :confused:

One thing that really freaked my ds out was the way the CAT prints their division signs. Our math program uses straight lines and the CAT test used a curved division sign.

Our test doesn't have curved division signs, they are all straight, so we can't use that wonderful legitimate excuse! :D You must have used a different version of the CAT. I understand that their are different copyrights. Some better than others, harder than others, etc.

There were 31 problems and they were given 15 minutes. That is 30 seconds per problem!!! We are talking several long division and multi-digit multiplication problems. Not going to happen. My son didn't finish 11 of them. He still got in the 76th percentile and since he did well on the other 2 non-timed tests, his scores were still in the high 80's. I wouldn't worry. Many kids can't finish those.

Did you use the CAT 5 test? I am seriously tempted to let him finish the test. I KNOW he knows this stuff, and to let him feel like a failure because his computation skills are slow is very off-putting. My directions do give time limits and says we should follow them, but also states that "this is a guide only". :001_huh: :confused:

Call whomever you bought the test from. Did you have a separate answer sheet with warnings NOT to write in the book, even though the instructions say to write in the book?

We used the same test, but a different grade.

Call them, call them, call them!

Yay! I just called. She said that if the test is only for my personal information on what he does and does not know, then I can take all the time I want. The only thing I need to do is write them a note when sending the test back stating that time limits in math were not used so that they do not use his math score for standardized results.

On the other hand, if I were testing him for our state/school/etc. I would need him to go by the time limits.

I think I'll attempt to time him on the Math Concepts portion, but if he doesn't get it completed in time then no worries, I'll let him continue one. I'd rather he complete it so I have full knowledge of his weak areas in math, than not get it all finished for a standardized score that is really not useful to me.

The other subtests such as Spelling, Social Studies, LA, etc. will be graded according to the standard. Just math will be non-standard.

Such a relief. Yes, I wish he could finish in the time given, but he's my slow and steady wins the race guy. :D

Yay! I just called. She said that if the test is only for my personal information on what he does and does not know, then I can take all the time I want. The only thing I need to do is write them a note when sending the test back stating that time limits in math were not used so that they do not use his math score for standardized results.

On the other hand, if I were testing him for our state/school/etc. I would need him to go by the time limits.

I think I'll attempt to time him on the Math Concepts portion, but if he doesn't get it completed in time then no worries, I'll let him continue one. I'd rather he complete it so I have full knowledge of his weak areas in math, than not get it all finished for a standardized score that is really not useful to me.

The other subtests such as Spelling, Social Studies, LA, etc. will be graded according to the standard. Just math will be non-standard.

Such a relief. Yes, I wish he could finish in the time given, but he's my slow and steady wins the race guy. :D

:grouphug: That news should also help him relax :)

Just to let you know that I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th, but before that I used to have to go sit in the principal's office during recess so I could finish my math because I couldn't finish it in the allotted time. Well I'm a math tutor now and have taught highschool Algebra 1 and 2. Who knew?:lol: There is hope and he may end up liking math in the future. For me it was a decision I made in highschool that I was going to learn it and like it. It was my jr year when I decided that. Before that, after completing Algebra 1 as a freshman in HS, I pleaded with my mother to never make me take another math couse again. I'm still not the fastest. I have to write things down so I can see it. I hate doing it in my head. But that actually seemed like a common trait among the kids who had math related majors in my calculus classes in college. So tell him that most of his battle is psycological. If he is slow and accurate he is good in math, he is just not fast. Once he gets past the mental blockage he will probably speed up. I know I have gotten faster over the years.

Just to let you know that I was homeschooled 3rd through 12th, but before that I used to have to go sit in the principal's office during recess so I could finish my math because I couldn't finish it in the allotted time. Well I'm a math tutor now and have taught highschool Algebra 1 and 2. Who knew?:lol: There is hope and he may end up liking math in the future. For me it was a decision I made in highschool that I was going to learn it and like it. It was my jr year when I decided that. Before that, after completing Algebra 1 as a freshman in HS, I pleaded with my mother to never make me take another math couse again. I'm still not the fastest. I have to write things down so I can see it. I hate doing it in my head. But that actually seemed like a common trait among the kids who had math related majors in my calculus classes in college. So tell him that most of his battle is psycological. If he is slow and accurate he is good in math, he is just not fast. Once he gets past the mental blockage he will probably speed up. I know I have gotten faster over the years.

Thank you so much for sharing that. I will indeed pass it along to him. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update on my son's CAT5 scores. He did better than I had anticipated.

(Stanine score ratings: 1-3 below average, 4-6 average, 7-9 above average)

My ds's scores:

Total Battery: 99%, Stanine: 9, Grade Equiv: PHS (public high school)

Vocabulary: 99% (missed 1) , Stanine: 9, Grade Equiv: PHS

Comprehension: 99% (missed 1), Stanine 9, Grade Equiv: PHS

Spelling: 83% (missed 5), Stanine 7, Grade Equiv: 9.5

Language Mechanics: 91% (missed 3), Stanine 8, Grade Equiv: PHS

Language Expression: 99% (missed 1), Stanine 9, Grade Equiv: PHS

Math Computation (not timed): 94% (missed 3), Stanine 8, Grade Equiv: 11.4

Math Concepts: 93% (missed 6), Stanine 8, Grade Equiv: 12.5

*Study Skills: 86% (missed 3), Stanine 7, Grade Equiv: 10.3

*Science: 89% (missed 7), Stanine 7, Grade Equiv 12.3

*Social Studies: 60% (missed 11), Stanine 6, Grade Equiv: 8.3

I wasn't at all concerned with his scores for the last three tests (*) as I knew he would not do as well as some due to our personal homeschool scope and sequence in those areas of study (ESPECIALLY Social Studies). I am happy with his other scores though and now know where he could use a bit more concentrated help...such as spelling and math. :tongue_smilie: I am happy to see that BJU"s Writing and Grammar has kept him above average (yea BJU! :hurray:), and that all that reading he does has indeed helped him in his vocab and comprehension. ;)

So, though I was seriously concerned, I am very relieved that he actually did better than I expected considering his timed-testing phobia. I don't know what his math Computation score would actually be had he been timed on it, but at least I know that though he is slow, he's understanding most of it.