Menu

9yo drama--how to stop?

This is a somewhat irritating situation that has been going on for several months now. My daughter is just turning 9, and in her Sunday School class there are several girls and just two boys. They tend to get more boy-y in order to assert themselves, or something, if you see what I mean. She has known both boys practically since birth and did preschool with them.

Well a while back one boy decided that my daughter (K) "likes" the other boy (M). M has spent the past few months muttering "I know you like me" at her whenever they meet and refusing all other interaction. (They were good friends when they were 3...and his mom and I are friends.) This is kind of too bad, since they have similar tastes in books and would probably get along great if he would forget about it. M pretty much ignores all of girl-kind otherwise.

K is annoyed, confused, and probably a bit giggly about it. She has no interest in boys at this time--actually she's a little young for her age, though not by much. What she mostly does is to say "No I don't!" which is taken as proof that she does. Today she made a face at him as well, which served as further proof. Otherwise she just says "Boys are crazy." She wants to play and be buddies, or at least for this dumb stuff to stop.

The only thing I can think of is for her to smile sweetly and reply "Don't flatter yourself." Otherwise I don't think there is anything she can do to convince him, but this is getting old. Does anyone know what could possibly get him to quit and act normally? I would really prefer that she deal with it, and not me.