Menu

What to look for in a used guitar?

Yacko has been wanting to learn guitar for years, and he's finally physically large enough that he can use a full-size guitar. We made him a deal that if he finished a certain amount of work before his birthday (the 26th of July) we would get him this really nice guitar from the music store.

Fast forward two months, and while he hasn't complete ALL we told him, he is close to finishing half of it, and the other half isn't really (completely) his fault. We want to get him a guitar, and get him one that will last him a while, but not spend more than $100 (preferably less, since we still have to pay for lessons.) Obviously, this means finding a used one, and we have no problem with that, except we haven't a clue what to look for in the instrument as neither DH nor I play guitar.

Yacko has been wanting to learn guitar for years, and he's finally physically large enough that he can use a full-size guitar. We made him a deal that if he finished a certain amount of work before his birthday (the 26th of July) we would get him this really nice guitar from the music store.

Fast forward two months, and while he hasn't complete ALL we told him, he is close to finishing half of it, and the other half isn't really (completely) his fault. We want to get him a guitar, and get him one that will last him a while, but not spend more than $100 (preferably less, since we still have to pay for lessons.) Obviously, this means finding a used one, and we have no problem with that, except we haven't a clue what to look for in the instrument as neither DH nor I play guitar.

Find someone you know who plays well and let them check out any used guitar that you are considering.

This could be your anwer:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Honduran-Mahogany-Dreadnought?sku=519268

Sometime back, a mom here recommended this guitar at Musician's friend. I believe her son had done a lot of searching and studying and eventually bought this guitar. I was seriously looking at the time and after reading her post and all the great reviews at the Musician's Friend site, I took the plunge and bought it. Someone else here did too.

I love it. I'm not a guitar guru, so I can't give any great details, but it's got a nice sound. My mom, who has played guitar since I was little, had her own "baby" (guitar) that she used all those years. When she heard and saw my guitar she loved it's sound and how easily the strings could be held down compared to hers. She went and bought one too. :)

If your budget is $100, I don't think you can go wrong with this guitar, especially when it has free shipping too!

Good luck!

My husband and I are both guitar players (we met in music school). I am not familiar with the specific guitar that Jeanne linked to, but am familiar with the brand. Rouge is a pretty good guitar for the money - I think their craftmanship is pretty good for a beginner guitar. I would say that if he is going to take to playing, he will want a nicer instrument in a year or two.

If you are going to get him lessons, you may find that his teacher is willing to help you find an instrument. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't play what you need to look for. Warped necks are probably the biggest concern I have when buying used guitars and it took me a while to learn how to really look at a neck.

HTH

I agree that a guitar teacher would be happy to help find a guitar. It's in his best interest that your child enjoys playing!

DH bought his first guitar at a pawn shop.

One important thing to look out for is if the "action" is too high (I think that's what it's called) This is how high the strings are off the neck and how easy it is to press the strings down. DD had a much easier time when we had a guitar shop lower the action on DHs old guitar. HTH

Find someone you know who plays well and let them check out any used guitar that you are considering.

I agree with this. If you don't know about guitars, the advice we give here may not be very useful. Find a friend or contact the instructor for help.

The wrong instrument could make it more difficult to learn and kill his interest. Make sure (at the very least) that the instructor will set up the guitar (action, intonation, etc.). EVERY instructor I know does this for free (for their students) and teaches the student how to do it themselves.

The wrong instrument could make it more difficult to learn and kill his interest. Make sure (at the very least) that the instructor will set up the guitar (action, intonation, etc.). EVERY instructor I know does this for free (for their students) and teaches the student how to do it themselves.

umm, i teach and i know a lot of teachers. none do guitar set up for students and in fact, i can't think of any who even do it for themselves. set up for action and intonation is the purview of a guitar tech repairperson since it involves straightening the neck and possibly adjusting the bridge and the neck. it would really make me nervous if an instructor was doing anything more than showing what to look for if a problem is suspected.

as for the OP, i think your budget is a bit low. perhaps a good line of attack would be to have the potential teacher see the instrument you already have to see if it's workable and, if it isn't, to tell you why so you'll know what to look for in a better instrument. the teacher might also have some ideas on where you might look.

:iagree: Also, recognizable brand name. In guitars, you can't buy generic.

I agree with this to a point. I wouldn't suggest buying a "no name" guitar from Walmart or one of those First Act ones or anything like that, but there are actually quite a few "no name" guitars (that are no name to most people in the states) that are actually quite excellent. Alot of the guitars coming out of Japan (especially from the late 70's to the 80's) have excellent quality and workmanship.

Fernandez, Burny, Edwards, Tokai and of course my favorite Ibanez make great guitars but are not so well known here in the sea of Fenders and Gibsons. I'd take a Fender Japan guitar from the 80's over any Fender American guitar made today hands down! :)

I also agree with the other poster that set up is the job of the guitar tech. I don't know any teachers either who do this especially not on an acoustic guitar where the neck set is a very complicated adjustment.

Edited by Ibbygirl