Menu

map of Native American tribes?

Does anyone know of a good online map of Native American tribes? I understand they didn't have defined territorial boundaries, I was looking for something that would give a general idea of where different groups were located.

For example, in the Arabian peninsula historically there were many bedouin semi-nomadic tribes, yet you can find historical maps that give an idea where different tribes were principally located.. about, lol...

I had a more detailed map, but I found this one was really helpful because usually the tribes within these areas had similar lifestyles. I combined it with a map like the one in the above post to get an idea of how to schedule out our NA study.

So far I have filled out my own map like this (I'm not done, obviously, but maybe it will help?)

Northeast: Pawhatan, Wapanog

Woodlands (Great Lake region): Iriquois, Obijwa

Southeast: Seminole, Choctaw

Great Plains: Sioux

Plateau: Nez Perce

So far I have filled out my own map like this (I'm not done, obviously, but maybe it will help?)

Northeast: Pawhatan, Wapanog

Woodlands (Great Lake region): Iriquois, Obijwa

Southeast: Seminole, Choctaw

Great Plains: Sioux

Plateau: Nez Perce

Just a little tidbit, the Sioux call themselves the Dakota or Lakota, depending on where they are located. Here in S. MN, they go by Dakota and in W. SD, they are the Lakota. Sioux was/is a negative name given them by the French meaning, "Snake in the grass"

Ojibwe, aka Chippewa, live in N. MN. When the white man came the Native American tribes where pushed west. So the eastern tribes moved a little west, those tribes they displaced moved a little west and so on. The Ojibwe/Chippewa lived in the eastern Great Lakes region until the early-mid 1800s when they were pushed farther west to MN, displacing the Dakota people that lived in N. MN, to S. MN.

Don't know why I threw that out there, probably 'cuz it's still on my brain for studying it this year.

Ibbygirl, the site to which you linked looks really good. You can find info about all the states and about other countries as well if you go to the main page:

http://www.native-languages.org/

To get to the maps, first click on "Geographical index of Native American tribes." Then select the areas of interest from there.

As mentioned before, none of the maps will be perfect. For example, I know that the Creek (my ancestors) extended further into Central Georgia than is shown on the map, but the maps help to give the general idea.

Ibbygirl, the site to which you linked looks really good. You can find info about all the states and about other countries as well if you go to the main page:

http://www.native-languages.org/

To get to the maps, first click on "Geographical index of Native American tribes." Then select the areas of interest from there.

As mentioned before, none of the maps will be perfect. For example, I know that the Creek (my ancestors) extended further into Central Georgia than is shown on the map, but the maps help to give the general idea.

Oh cool!! I'm glad to hear it. :) I wonder if there is any way to find out exactly what tribe a person hails from. I saw a documentary once on the Calusa tribe that resided in the Southwest portion of Florida all the way down through the keys. They are now no more though. But this documentary I saw had a picture of an old Calusa woman and I swear it was the spitting image of my Great grandmother!! And she was from the Keys. I always wonder if we have Calusa heritage or not but I have no clue how one could go about finding out. :confused:

Ibby, have you done any genealogy? It's quite time-consuming, but it is sometimes worth it. It will be more difficult with a tribe that no longer exists, but you still might be able to find something.

I know quite a bit of my geneology on my mother's side back about almost 300 years, but nobody mentioned any Native American tribes. If I did have any Indian blood in me then it would have been as a result of some type of *ahem* indiscretion and therefore wouldn't be out there openly in the family history. I was wondering if a genetics test would reveal anything?? Although I am Cuban as well and they had some Indians there too so it could be from there as well I guess. :confused: