Menu

OK...so SAT2 exams seem to be most imporatant....so....

Guest Barb B

Maybe we should have a sticky with colleges that reccommend SAT II'sor not! It was just my experience that most we looked at don't. That said there are a ton of colleges out there so obviously we will have different experiences on the issue.

Those we have looked into that don't care about SAT II's: Texas A & M, Texas Tech, Purdue, Air force Academy, Auburn. Are on our list to apply so far. They don't seem to care about SAT II tests. There are others we are looking into as well.

Barb

8 data points - that's interesting. I was told 3 or 4 (think that was the number) academic CC classes plus SAT scores would be ok by one admissions person. At the time, that was a very useful number, since I had no idea what I was doing. She also reminded me to have my son take them JUNIOR year, so colleges would have his scores when he applied in the fall of senior year.

Weren't they called Achievement Tests back then? I remember going in on a Saturday in the '70s and writing three of them in a row. No study guides back then, though:).

Yes, achievement tests (abbreviated ACH) -- and I also did three in one day -- Latin, Math Level II, and one other (must have been chem?). And yes, NO study guides -- we just went in cold!! Life was simpler back then ;-)

Subject tests are one way to provide these; but, of course, they are but one of many ways. Years ago, when my ds was starting the process, I read a useful piece of advice: homeschoolers who want to go to a selective college should have about eight "data points". These data points could be college/CC class grades, online coursework, summer programs, or testing results (sat, act, ap, subject tests). In our case the testing made more sense, especially since we didn't do many outside classes. Here in my county in VA, the AP testing is totally free, but CC classes cost $:)

~Kathy

That's interesting about 8 data points. It validates my tentative plan, which is to have a variety of data points to verify "home" work -- i.e., a mix of SAT subject tests, APs, maybe a CLEP or two, summer programs, online classes, and a few CC classes. (Whew!) But I think the variety should keep life interesting ;-)

~Laura

After reading this thread I'm thinking they won't be well prepared, and maybe they shouldn't take it?

BUT . . . I don't see my boys taking AP bio or advanced bio later (they are much more interested in chem, physics, computers), AND I'm thinking that -- if we don't *have* to send the score to colleges, and considering that they will be at the start of their high-school career when they take it, with plenty of time for much better scores on chem & physics Subject Tests -- it might be a valuable opportunity to gain experience taking these kinds of tests. As Holly said, the kids learned how long an hour is, etc.! My kids have both taken the regular SAT as part of a talent search, but this will be a whole different experience.

Hi Laura,

I guess my 2 cents would be not to have them take the Bio Subject test unless they are really gung ho on studying for this kind of thing. They are still young, and they have several years of testing that will "count" ahead of them.

My ds did a subject test after 10th grade and then 2 more after 11th grade. Add to that taking the PSAT twice and the ACT, and a tough year of school in 11th grade, and he was just so burnt out on testing at the end of junior year. He does not have a competitive streak about this kind of testing, and I really had to lean on him to get him to study. I would probably feel differently if he was really motivated to study on his own.

Since you plan on having them take more Chemistry & Physics, I'd wait on the subject tests and focus on those unless one of them wants to go into a life science field.

My son finished all his testing before "score choice" was an option, so I knew that all scores would be sent not matter what. It really bugs me that schools can mandate that you send in all tests. I know that a lot of them say that they only look at the highest ones anyway, but if that is the case, why do they care about seeing the lower ones?

Brenda

Guest Barb B
I don't want to hijack this thread, but this is a related question --

BUT . . . I don't see my boys taking AP bio or advanced bio later (they are much more interested in chem, physics, computers), AND I'm thinking that -- if we don't *have* to send the score to colleges, and considering that they will be at the start of their high-school career when they take it, with plenty of time for much better scores on chem & physics Subject Tests -- it might be a valuable opportunity to gain experience taking these kinds of tests. As Holly said, the kids learned how long an hour is, etc.! My kids have both taken the regular SAT as part of a talent search, but this will be a whole different experience.

So, a question for Brenda, Kathy, musicmom, or anyone else who knows -- I've heard (from one of Kathy's posts) you can pick which SAT Subject Test scores to send, even from the same test date. But would a college ever say "send all *subject test* scores"? In this thread

This is what we did - took a test as sort of a base line, thinking we didn't have to send the score. Now I'm getting a bit nervous to here that there are some colleges that will ask you to send all scores and to sign something that said you did? I had ds take the test not knowing that. So I would wait if I were you.

Barb

Sorry for the botched quote. Sometimes I do the quote thing right and others . . .

Guest Barb B

It really bugs me that schools can mandate that you send in all tests. I know that a lot of them say that they only look at the highest ones anyway, but if that is the case, why do they care about seeing the lower ones?

Brenda

:iagree:Since ds took a sat subject test before we knew this - I really wouldn't feel bad not sending this one score. After all, College Board won't send any scores without our approval.

Barb

That's not a bad idea - I wonder if we could have a page somewhere where WTMers offer their experiences with admissions for particular colleges. I know we have The College Board to discuss this kind of thing .... but I mean something like a web page that we could use for quick reference.

How many would find such a page useful? Or would it be duplicating effort found elsewhere? Or impractical because of changing requirements?

I looked up SAT II required on google and found a list right away. It wasn't all that many colleges considering that there are over 3000 colleges in the US. It was very localized, though, with certain states like CA, NY and VA having quite a number. Very few in the midwest or south.

Thank you, Brenda and Barb -- I think that's good advice. You're right, my kids *are* still young, and I don't want them to get burnt out on too much testing. (They've taken the PSAT & SAT for talent searches, but those didn't require as much prep!) I think I'll wait and see how this year of biology goes. Their interests really lie more in the computer & engineering areas (I think one of my sons will *love* the USACO -- thanks to Kathy for the suggestion!), so unless they end up really getting intrigued with biology this year, I'll probably not worry about the subject test yet.

~Laura

Guest Barb B
I looked up SAT II required on google and found a list right away. It wasn't all that many colleges considering that there are over 3000 colleges in the US. It was very localized, though, with certain states like CA, NY and VA having quite a number. Very few in the midwest or south.

Thanks for doing that! I will have to do it too! It does confirm what I have heard though -about CA, NY and VA. Nice to know that there really aren't the majority of schools requiring the SAT II's. So if we don't take any more (don't know if DS will or not) then I feel that it really won't hurt him any!

Barb

This looks like a pretty comprehensive list (except it doesn't have homeschooler-specific info):

http://www.compassprep.com/admissions_req_subjects.aspx

Looks like, for example, all the Ivies want subject tests (Harvard requires 3 (!)), although some will accept the ACT instead; and the University of California campuses want 2.

Yes, easy to find by a Google search!

Edited by Laura in CA

Another site has it by states and whether they are required or recommended. Do check the college website though. One I checked that had recommended had it recommended for foreign language. That is for placement and I won't bother until my dd is accepted, if she applies. They say they don't use them in admission but I would not rather have anyone see them if she doesn't score well. Not only that, if your child is still studying the language, their score in May of the Senior year should be better than their score in fall. If you go to the college admission web site, it often gives a better story. FOr the few that recommend it for homeschoolers, if she chooses to apply there, she will be contacting them and seeing if CC transcripts and AP tests (which she probably will do) would count. My deal with her is that the AP test is scored only with regards to how your child did, while the SAT II depends on how they did with respect to everyone else. Since my dd doesn't like the trickiness of the SAT and is most likely going to take the ACT, that is what we will do. My kids are always very busy and they don't get a summer break so I try not to overload with extra tests. I think it will be more beneficial for her to pursue her sports, her volunteer opportunities, her music, and her heavy academic load than try to master any specific test. The main hurdle to pass is the SAT or ACT. If your child hasn't taken one of these, you really have no reason to worry if SAT IIs will be a factor. IF they aren't scoring really high on those, you would probably do better in admittance by focusing on raising those and also choosing the best fit colleges for your child. Plenty of youth end up doing phenomenally well even if their SAT scores were middling. They may not end up going to Harvard but the success of Harvard grads is not as high as the success of some other schools. More importantly, your child may be more likely to succeed by going to a non-Ivy. Examine what you want and what you can afford. Don't be fooled by thinking that since the school costs 55K a year and your family makes less than 150K, obviously you won't be expected to pay that much. Check out the expected family contribution and then decide if you want to put your child through extra testing for colleges you won't be able to afford. I know that some states require SAT IIs for the state universities but most don't.

My deal with her is that the AP test is scored only with regards to how your child did, while the SAT II depends on how they did with respect to everyone else.

Chris,

I'm curious where you've heard that. My experience with the College Board tests is that the results always fall in a bell-shaped curve, and they work very hard to get the results that way. So they have to score your child's test with respect to how others did. If this is specifically not the case with the AP exams, I'd like to see a reference for that. Thoughts anyone?

Brenda

Guest Barb B

HSLDA Has a great list that is specifically listing schools that do and that don't require extra tests for admissions. The list that does not have extra requirements is MUCH longer than the list that does!

I think I will leave this decision up to DS. Really, if he decides not to take any SAT II tests I think that he will still be accepted to even more then one college!

Barb