Hawaii history kids books?

Hi Everyone,

Do you happen to know kids books 6 to 15 yrs. that talk about

Queen Liliukolani

Pearl Harbor

Volcanoes on BI

Surfing

Snorkeling

Anything else wonderful -- maybe how the islands were found?

Captain Cook

Thank you!

Alley

It was actually a fun overview of Hawaii and we all enjoyed it. It has a subject for every letter of the alphabet and covered quite a bit of info considering the format. We read a few pages every evening while on vacation in Hawaii this winter.

Hi Everyone,

Do you happen to know kids books 6 to 15 yrs. that talk about

Queen Liliukolani

Pearl Harbor

Volcanoes on BI

Surfing

Snorkeling

Anything else wonderful -- maybe how the islands were found?

Captain Cook

Thank you!

Alley

I posted a lot of book reviews, museum site links and online educational stuff on my blog when we lived in Hawaii. You should be able to find most of them from the Hawaii link in the left sidebar.

Off the top of my head,

Children of Battleship Row - by far the best book I've read about the attack. The author was a girl living on Ford Island in 1941 and she writes both about life before and the attack itself. I think it is far better done than many of the recent fiction books for young adults. Chapter book, prob upper elementary, not a long book, but the mom does go into a depression in the later chapters.

DH was a docent at the Pacific Aviation Museum. He used Attack on Pearl Harbor by Cohen and Pearl Harbor 1941 by Smith (an Osprey Campaign book) for info on his tours. These are both upper level - adult books

There is a One Small Square book about Coral Reefs. Elementary

A is for Aloha is an alphabet book that is very nice. The illustrator, Tammy Yee is a delightful lady who has done several other books set in Hawaii. Island Style Alphabet is a fun one that captures much of the spirit of Hawaiian mixed ethnic cultures. The Boy who Tricked Ghosts is also a cool story set on Lanai.

Swimming with Humuhumu, Winter is for Whales and From Hawaii with Aloha, Grandma and Grandpa are all picture books that mix info about the islands with a theme of getting letters or postcards from Hawaii. All of the above are elementary/picture books, some with lots of text.

Hawaiian Coral Reef Ecology and Sea Turtles: An Ecological Guide by David Gulko are interesting books that mix good science info with graphics that make the books understandable for youth. They get mixed reviews on Amazon, but I thought they were very nice for the science we wanted to do. My 3-4 graders used, but they are good readers doing high level science. The books could be of interest up to high school level.

Pele and Poliahu: A Tale of Fire and Ice is the story of Pele and another goddess fighting it out on Hawaii. Picture book

When we went up to the Kilauea, I used the Prentice Hall Science Explorer for geology that covers earthquakes and volcanoes. Upper elementary - middle school, although I found it to be well done enough to hold my interest

I also read Chasing Lava, which was written by one of the USGS vulcanologists. Chapter book. Alternates between historical chapters and memoir of his time in the Volcano Park. Upper level.

Sand to Sea: Marine Life of Hawaii was one that we got from the library. Elementary level

I Had a Dollar in Hawaii is a funny story of a dollar bill making its way all around various island shops and stands. Picture book

Know Your Fishes in Hawaii is a funny book if you'll be doing snorkeling, but I would probably look for it used or in a library. Upper elementary

I also have a big book of Hawaiian traditional activities that was published by Kamehameha Schools Press. I'm not sure if I can lay my hands on that one to give you the correct title.

Are you going to Hawaii or just doing a unit study?

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
Added reading levels

After I borrowed and read Tsunami from the library, I bought it. It is only historical about an event, not the history of Hawaii. But it is full of good information including the background, science and a little geography about tsunamis. The April Fool's Day Disaster took place in Hawaii. My kids were only 8 and didn't really want to read it but didn't mind me reading it to them. Now that you brought it to mind, I pulled it back out and put it on the coffee table. At 10 yo, I know one of them will read it again.

We're going!!

Of the great book list you gave me, could you give me what ages they're each for?

Thank you so much!

Alley

I added general descriptions of the reading levels of the books in the post above.

Here is the section of my blog Percival Blakeney Academy on Hawaii I blogged about places we visited, unit studies, books and authors, good online education sites around the islands and nature study stuff. There is more there than I could ever fit into a post.

Have a great trip.

BTW, the Bishop museum is worth a trip. It was one of our favorite places. They have reciprical agreements with some mainland science museums.