Menu

Hot flashes after eating? Anyone else?

This is driving me absolutely batty, and I just need someone to tell me I'm not alone... and if I'm not alone, what on earth is causing this and how can I fix it! I am experiencing horrible, horrible hot flashes about an hour or so after I eat. I burn up for between 15-30 minutes and then it just vanishes. I can't figure out any triggers or I'd avoid them, but like I said, it's driving me crazy. I freeze most of the time, so these are completely out of character.

Oh, I should point out that I'm only 27. My mom is turning 56 in September and still isn't fully menopausal, so I don't think it's hormone-related... though maybe I'm wrong?

I'd love input! You ladies and gents are a font of wonderful health knowledge. Clue me in!

Is it when you eat certain foods or just any old food? Any foods containing vinegar (to include most salad dressings) make my husband sweat. They always have, it has nothing to do with his age. That's the only thing I could think of that was somewhat related. I may be totally off base. Sorry!

Are you taking any B-vitamins when you are eating? There is something known as "B-flush" or Niacin flush. It can happen after taking niacin. Some people even think they are having allergic reactions or even a heart attack. Sometimes you can become extremely flushed, hot and sweaty. I had this happen once for a week when I switched vitamins; it was very frightening until I figured it out. This usually happens within an hour of taking the niacin.

Another thought is reflux. Are you having any coughing or heartburn associated with the hot flash?

My last thought is an allergic reaction to some food. Does this happen every time you eat? Keep a food diary and see if something in particular triggers this.

HTH,

Leanna

I am experiencing horrible, horrible hot flashes about an hour or so after I eat. I burn up for between 15-30 minutes and then it just vanishes.

I've been on a couple of diabetes management boards, and I've heard the members talk about having a "heat wave" from the insulin kicking in. That data point combined with the being chilly all the time would lead me to think you might want to check with an endocrinologist. Chilliness can be related to thyroid issues, and the two (thyroid and pancreas) can have an effect on each other. (Low thyroid can lead to insulin resistance, etc.)

Chilliness can also be caused by anemia.

Those are just a couple of data points, but your body might be trying to tell you something.

Best wishes!

Are you taking any B-vitamins when you are eating? There is something known as "B-flush" or Niacin flush. It can happen after taking niacin. Some people even think they are having allergic reactions or even a heart attack. Sometimes you can become extremely flushed, hot and sweaty. I had this happen once for a week when I switched vitamins; it was very frightening until I figured it out. This usually happens within an hour of taking the niacin.

Another thought is reflux. Are you having any coughing or heartburn associated with the hot flash?

My last thought is an allergic reaction to some food. Does this happen every time you eat? Keep a food diary and see if something in particular triggers this.

HTH,

Leanna

Wow! Between this and the diabetic comments (which I'll get to in a moment), I had no idea there could be so many causes of hot flashes! I do take vitamins in the morning, but I don't get the hot flashes unless I actually eat. I've only had heartburn once in my life, and it was after eating something called Cajun pizza in New Orleans, and I probably deserved it!

The only thing that *might* trigger it (I went back and wrote down everything I've eaten the past few days) would be carbs? Which would make sense for a blood sugar reaction. I've had blood sugar issues in the past but never even considered that they could cause hot flashes. I wasn't feeling my normal dizzy/lightheaded like I normally get when the blood sugar bombs, so it never even occurred to me. Guess it's time to make an appointment to see the old doc, eh? :glare: Just what I wanted to do, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.

Thanks, y'all! I really do appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
Guest AmazingASLTeacher

Just a bump to see what ever happened to the OP? I'm having these problems too and I'm very overweight, so I'm hoping it's not due to an onset of diabetes. I know exercise will help whatever it is that's causing this.