Menu

SWR question

I am looking at the combo packages, since I want to do Cursive First along with it.

DS is only 4 (born in February 2005, so would technically be starting pre-K), but he is already reading Level 2 BOB books and similar things with no trouble. Because he is so young, I don't want to push the handwriting aspect, but I do want to get started with SWR. I am confused about what I should order, though. Pre-K-K or Grade 1? What is the difference if the program is to be used year after year?

I guess I am confused... :confused: I have SWR, and there is just the red SWR book, the WISE Guide book, phonogram cards, spelling rule cards, and Cursive First (if you want it)...

You would want what is called the "Core Kit", plus the "Cursive First" pack. I got mine from swrtraining.com

HTH!

I am looking at the combo packages, since I want to do Cursive First along with it.

DS is only 4 (born in February 2005, so would technically be starting pre-K), but he is already reading Level 2 BOB books and similar things with no trouble. Because he is so young, I don't want to push the handwriting aspect, but I do want to get started with SWR. I am confused about what I should order, though. Pre-K-K or Grade 1? What is the difference if the program is to be used year after year?

Personally, I wouldn't go with any of the packages that has a ton of stuff. Do you not have any of the materials yet? The reason I ask is that it is a FULL program and people get very overwhelmed with it. When I ordered initially, I did order the Core Kit (includes Spell to Write and Read, the Wise Guide, phonogram & spelling cards - the heart of the program.) I also ordered Wanda's DVD and Britta's DVD, which is great for the pre-handwriting age. We also ordered 2 of the Primary learning logs. That has really kept us busy. I attended one of their workshops and by that time I had a better handle on the program and could better see what "extras" we would actually use, instead of spending money up front on stuff that we wouldn't. I found so much help on Britta's DVD and website that I haven't purchased any of their games, we just make up our own, use sidewalk chalk, salt, etc.

HTH.

Okay, that helps a lot. What will I need to buy (if anything) when he goes to the next level, though?

I was looking at the combo packages because I know I want to buy Cursive First, too, but it looks like it comes with a lot of extras that I don't really need.

The sandpaper letters look nice, though. Has anyone bought them?

I didn't look too closely at their website, but I think that them breaking up the program into levels for purchasing like that is new. I don't remember them doing that last year when I bought it. The actual program is NOT broken down into levels like that. The only thing that will change later is that you'll buy the older learning log (black) instead of the primary log (the lines for writing on are thinner). But, that's not for many years, if your ds is 4. :)

The sandpaper letters are so easy to make we didn't buy them.

I don't know about the packages, but you can uses a lot of the cursive first ideas to work on SWR concepts. You can use the sand letters to practice the first 26 phonogram sounds (though you can make sand letter cards for all the phonograms if you like), then you can use sand for the child to write in instead of having them write it out with pen and paper (doesn't take as much fine motor control). Little things like that will help your ds through the writing issue yet still allow him to progress in reading.

Heather

Phonogram cards and the book with all of the spelling words in it. I've used this program to teach 3 children to read (but not for handwriting), and that is all I've ever used. My kids outgrew the learning logs and the marking system fairly quickly (we just used a composition book with a line down the center of each page), but that is more of a product of the program's success. After the first few months, when they had mastered the phonograms and spelling rules, we just use the spelling words the old-fashioned way.

I love this program, but don't be intimidated by it. I personally just found it easiest to pick up and start at the beginning, rather than trying to master the whole thing before I started. Just make sure you read the instructions on pronouncing the phonograms--"n" is not "nu," and "b" is not "bu," for example.

Terri

The difference is the extras that go along.

I would get SWR core kit and Cursive First.

Don't under-estimate what a young kid can do with handwriting. Like anything else, it's in how you present it. At 4yo, learning the strokes can be done is so many fun ways....and as his fm skills develop, writing will come.

A SWR Core Kit (necessary components to use SWR) is a one-time purchase for K-12, so for the most part the only thing you'll need once you have the core kit is a primary (K-2nd) or black (3rd & up) learning log each year. However, you may choose to use some of the supplementary materials such as Cursive First, New England Primer, Phonogram Fun Pack, Beginning Grammar Readers, My Wise Grammar Book (this is some of the enrichments that you see written at the bottom of the WISE guide--put to workbook format), etc... or when you hit the upper grades you may choose to use supplementary materials such as the SWR Chart Pack, McCall-Crabbs Reading Comp., or Advanced Phonograms, etc.

Here is a list of the many materials available for SWR through BHI

Here is a list of SWR Bundles available through SWR Trainer Britta McColl

We began SWR unofficially last year for our K4 school year and I can share with you what we've used thus far. (I state unofficially because although my ds made huge progress in the program - knows all 70 phonograms and can write most in cursive from memory, and completed spelling words from lists A-H with some markings included - we didn't actually start using the primary learning log as I plan on doing that this coming K5 school year which is scheduled to begin in September.) Here is the list of what I've found useful and would not do without...

The Core Kit:

Spell to Write and Read (overall teacher's manual)

Wise Guide for Spelling

Phonogram Cards

Spelling Rule Cards

Phonogram CD

Additional Items:

Cursive First

Large Clock Face for Tracing (I laminated it.)

Dry Erase Board (dotted half lines)

New England Primer

You CAN Do It! SWR DVD*

Modified TRH DVD*

Primary Learning Logs (one for the teacher and one for each student, each year)

(*These are great if you are unable to attend a seminar.)

Haven't used yet or to the fullest, but plan on using more during the Summer and/or our upcoming K5 year:

Phonogram Fun Pack

Phonogram Bingo

The Spelling Word Bank

SWR Companion CDs

My Wise Grammar book (maybe)

Side Note: I did use the SWR Cursive Sandpaper Letters with my ds, but unfortunately he ended up not particularly caring for them. He preferred to just trace the cursive phonogram cards (included in Cursive First) or the Large Cursive Trace Letters (sold by Norma Farrand, a SWR Trainer) to help him practice write the phonograms using his large motor skills in a salt box, which he loved until he was ready to move on to the whiteboard, and then eventually just pencil and paper.

:001_smile: HTH!

Edited by CMama

He preferred to just trace the cursive phonogram cards (included in Cursive First) or the Large Cursive Trace Letters (sold by Norma Farrand, a SWR Trainer) to help him practice write the phonograms using his large motor skills in a salt box, which he loved until he was ready to move on to the whiteboard, and then eventually just pencil and paper.

:001_smile: HTH!

Can you post a link/let me know where I can buy the Large Cursive Trace Letters?

I have been looking at swrtraining.com

Your posts are so helpful; thank you SO very much!

Can you post a link/let me know where I can buy the Large Cursive Trace Letters?

I have been looking at swrtraining.com

Your posts are so helpful; thank you SO very much!

You're very welcome... I'm glad I could be of some help to you. ;)

You'll most likely have to contact Norma Farrand via email or call her on the telephone. Here is the list of SWR Teacher Trainer Contacts, she is an OR contact. I purchased a couple of her materials (including the Large Cursive Trace Letters) at the SWR Basic Seminar I attended last summer. I believe she is on Facebook as well, but I think she mainly only corresponds with Wanda Sanseri on it.

:001_smile:

I would suggest starting with the Core kit and possibly Cursive First. Then buy as you decide you need it.

I am almost finished making my copy of the learning log, and the more I get into the program, the more it makes so much sense.

When you get your material, it is easy to be overwhelmed. But it doesn't need to be that way.

What is the difference if the program is to be used year after year?

As you progress in SWR, about 3rd grade or so, you may want to add in the McCall-Crabbs Standard Test Lessons in Reading. I used this with my 3rd grader last year. She took about two tests per week. It gave me a good idea at which grade level she is reading at.

I bought the hardback book for durability.

I was able to see her progress in reading levels on a weekly basis. At the end of the year it is interesting compare week one with week 36.

Can you post a link to where you are seeing Pre-K, K or Grade 1 choices? That might help us answer your question.

I was guessing she was referring to this page

I see that you can get a Writing Journal with any of the SWR combo packages you purchase from LITHBTH Educational Services. I just to share with everyone - in case anyone is interested - that another option recommended by SWR Trainer Norma Farrand (though she does not endorse The Riggs Institute programs) is The Riggs Institute's Composition Notebooks in 3/8" rule (pic below) and/or 1/2" rule, to use similarly as the writing journal.

ETA: We'll be using one of the 3/8" rule composition notebooks to do all/most SWR work that is outside of the Primary Learning Log, Spelling Word Bank, and possibly My Wise Grammar. ;)

Edited by CMama