Menu

3rd grader, first year w/ homeschool

Peg Graham

Any suggestions for curriculum for my 3rd grader, 1st time w/ homeschool?

I love TWTM/ABeka (classical)....But I really would like to purchase it all in a Kit, if possible.

I don't know about a kit, but if I were going to purchase traditional textbooks from a single publisher, I would go with Rod and Staff Publishers. R&S doesn't have a Website; you can call (606) 522-4348 and request a free catalog, curriculum samples, and scope and sequence.

R&S is every bit as academically sound as ABeka but it's much less expensive, and it's very easy to use, with *excellent* teacher manuals for most subjects.

We didn't end up caring much for A Beka (that's the way it's actually spelled on the books, but most people here make it one word :)). We use Rod and Staff English books starting with gr 5 and like it very much. We have used A Beka Health & Spelling books.

We started homeschooling my eldest right after she finished gr 2 is ps, but instead of buying all our books from one place, we worked on doing it the WTM way. We had a huge learning curve, of course, and didn't end up sticking with everything we started out with.

I think A Beka is very expensive, the books are soft back and the ones we have are consumable. R&S has hardback, nonconsumable texts, with optional workbooks (at least for the English they're optional.) I haven't used any of their other books as we prefer other things for math, science, etc.

If I were to start at that age, I'd go with Oak Meadow. It has lots of projects and seems to keep/teach a love of learning.

Calvert is very thorough, also, but a little too much like going to school at home. It's not classical at all, though.