Menu

Cuisenaire rod suggestions?

Mama2Three

Hi there! I would like to add some cuisenaire rods to our math exploration. We currently use SM, but DD is about half way through EB 2b and I don't want to start 1a yet because she's a young 5 and will be just starting K in the fall. I thought the rods would be a nice diversion for a little while, maybe using miquon books to add some ideas and a little structure. But now that I'm getting ready to buy the rods, I notice that there are so many different types.

Any suggestions? I would normally lean towards the wood ones, because I like the feel of wood and try to limit the plastic that I buy. But then there are the linking rods, which are plastic. Also, would the starter kit of 74 rods be sufficient for 2 DC (or sometimes 3)?

Thanks for your help! :)

I have a strong preference for "wooden things" ordinarily. But I prefer the plastic Cuisenaire Rods. I'd advise a full (155 piece) set. Non-linking and not "scored". Just "classic" rods.

Part of the logic of Cuisenaire Rods is to discourage counting. "Scoring" the rods undermines this aim.

If you really don't want any plastic around, wood is fine.

Bill

This is exactly the info that I need. But just wondering, Spy Car, why do you prefer the plastic over the wood?

Thanks!

They are more regular. You can wash them without worries of colors running, the colors are vivid, and (believe it or not) the texture on the plastic ones feels nicer. Weird, I know.

I actually "hunted" for wood ones when I went to purchase a set. But I could only plastic ones locally. So I settled. Only later did I see the wood ones first hand. And there is no way I'd trade.

But I'd rather have wood than none.

Bill

There are also manipulatives called "Snap Cubes" made by Learning Resources. These individual cubes do "link". And come in the same color scheme as C. Rods.

I just picked up a set of these as another way to make "number bonds" concrete.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

One last thought. There is a manipulative called "base-10 flats". These are from a different series that C Rods but are the same scale. These represent "hundred value'" (they are 10 x 10 x 1 centimeter) and come in sets of ten.

The flats (hundreds) are great for using in conjunction with "10" value C. Rods (orange) to show the "tens" value and the rest of the C Rods to show "units".

Very helpful for teaching place in a concrete way.

Bill

We have both the wood ones and the scored, plastic ones that snap together. The plastic were nice because you can put together several pieces and they stick together. However, one of my dc has fine motor issues and needed me to snap the rods together. If you are putting the snap together rods onto a pre-measured line, you will have to snap them or they will be too long. Personally, I prefer the wood - no snapping to hold us up & also a tactile thing.

One accessory I love is sort of like a number line with a groove in the middle to hold the rods (got from RR) -- it was a big help in aligning the rods, especially if we were working on a sofa or bed rather than a table.

Just wanted to add -- the 1a teacher guide (we use the one that is not the Sonlight one) has great homemade manipulative ideas. A math whiz type won't need these, but a more moderate learner will.

Edited by Alessandra

Thank you! I'm off to search for a set of 155 plastic rods... :)

Also, Alessandra, thanks for letting me know about the HIG ideas for manipulatives in the 1a book. I bypassed the HIGs for the first grade, Although I have the 2a HIG but haven't started it yet (which reminds me, I need to preread it for Sept). But maybe for a younger child, the 1a HIG would give me more ideas.

They are more regular. You can wash them without worries of colors running, the colors are vivid, and (believe it or not) the texture on the plastic ones feels nicer. Weird, I know.

Not at all. I have a bucket of plastic ones I bought at a teacher supply store and I enjoy the feel of them to.

Thank you! I'm off to search for a set of 155 plastic rods... :)

Also, Alessandra, thanks for letting me know about the HIG ideas for manipulatives in the 1a book. I bypassed the HIGs for the first grade, Although I have the 2a HIG but haven't started it yet (which reminds me, I need to preread it for Sept). But maybe for a younger child, the 1a HIG would give me more ideas.

The HIGs for level one of the Standards Edition have a lot of activities and modeling based around linking cubes, such as the aforementioned "Snap Cubes" by Learning Resources and Unifix cubes. I like that the "colors" of the "Snap Cubes" match the C Rods.

And the HIGs for Singapore don't use C Rods. Many (most) of the activities can be adapted easily, and there are many other ways to use C Rods other than what in the HIGs (so they are still a favorite) but I did buy a set of "Snap Cubes" for a 5th birthday gift (6 days and counting). So we'll see how trying it yet another way works out. I think it will be good. Especially since the understands "value" (thanks in large part to C Rod play) and I'm not overly concerned these will get him "counting".

I still believe the C Rods are a better "starter" manipulative.

Bill