Menu

You may think I'm crazy but . . .

As it was getting late last evening and we still had the peach jam to can, I used my hand mixer in the cooking peaches to help spur them along to that mushier desired state needed for making the jam :001_smile: Yep - I put the mixer right into the pot . . . of course, it didn't reach to the bottom, but between stirring, cooking, and a few rounds with the mixer, dh and I shaved off some time cooking it to a puree so we could add the rest and stir and cook some more and GET DONE!

At 1:45 A.M. we finished 28 half-pints of jam - it is SO delicious! We had a dozen jars from a few days prior, and this evening, we will do another dozen. mmm---mmm---Good!

As it was getting late last evening and we still had the peach jam to can, I used my hand mixer in the cooking peaches to help spur them along to that mushier desired state needed for making the jam :001_smile: Yep - I put the mixer right into the pot . . . of course, it didn't reach to the bottom, but between stirring, cooking, and a few rounds with the mixer, dh and I shaved off some time cooking it to a puree so we could add the rest and stir and cook some more and GET DONE!

At 1:45 A.M. we finished 28 half-pints of jam - it is SO delicious! We had a dozen jars from a few days prior, and this evening, we will do another dozen. mmm---mmm---Good!

Don't think you are crazy at all. I am looking forward to peach time here. It will be another month or so though.

They make handheld mixers that are meant to be used in pots while cooking. I just purchased mine several months ago and I love it. I used to have to pour soup into cuisinart to puree and now the mixer does it with no mess right in the pot.

Wow! I learn SO much from the Hive! I didn't know this! We were just getting so tired, we needed to activate that old saying - where there's a will, there's a way!:D

Don't think you are crazy at all. I am looking forward to peach time here. It will be another month or so though.

We are almost done with our peaches here - and hoping the pears produce enough to can this year. Also, the grapes - there aren't too many clusters on the vine this year - it will be disappointing if they don't do well.

We just finished processing another dozen half pints of peach jam a little bit ago. :)

Wow! I learn SO much from the Hive! I didn't know this! We were just getting so tired, we needed to activate that old saying - where there's a will, there's a way!:D

Yup, this is the one I have. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bamix.aspx

It is much more expensive but I was going through them 2-3 a year. I have had this one now for over 2 yrs and it is still going strong. If I had it to do over I would get The Bamix Gastro 200 model as it has a longer shaft and I would be able to get to the bottom of things easier. Other than that I love it and use mine daily.

Yup, this is the one I have. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bamix.aspx

It is much more expensive but I was going through them 2-3 a year. I have had this one now for over 2 yrs and it is still going strong. If I had it to do over I would get The Bamix Gastro 200 model as it has a longer shaft and I would be able to get to the bottom of things easier. Other than that I love it and use mine daily.

Thanks for posting the link. I've never seen or heard of this, till today.:001_smile: Definitely something to add to my *wish list*!!!

We are almost done with our peaches here - and hoping the pears produce enough to can this year. Also, the grapes - there aren't too many clusters on the vine this year - it will be disappointing if they don't do well.

We just finished processing another dozen half pints of peach jam a little bit ago. :)

It just hit me. Do you have your own orchard? How awesome that would be! Just last year I found a group that gets fresh fruit from WA/OR, not sure which. It was soooooo good and actually inexpensive enough that I felt I could put some up for through the winter. I just froze the peaches but it was really nice to be able to grab a bag and use for desserts for special occasions. This year I am going to can some. I have apricots coming this next Wed. I plan on canning them, well unless they all get eaten before I get it done.

My dream for years has been to live on an acreage that I could at least have some apple trees but my dh isn't interested so in the middle of rally city we live.

Happy canning.

It just hit me. Do you have your own orchard? How awesome that would be! Just last year I found a group that gets fresh fruit from WA/OR, not sure which. It was soooooo good and actually inexpensive enough that I felt I could put some up for through the winter. I just froze the peaches but it was really nice to be able to grab a bag and use for desserts for special occasions. This year I am going to can some. I have apricots coming this next Wed. I plan on canning them, well unless they all get eaten before I get it done.

My dream for years has been to live on an acreage that I could at least have some apple trees but my dh isn't interested so in the middle of rally city we live.

Happy canning.

No, we don't have an orchard - wish we did! We just have a couple peach trees and pear trees, a grape vine, the start of blackberries, a walnut tree (thanks to Buddy Squirrel!!!), and our garden (smaller this year because of life-impacting issues). Dh and I have said for years that we would like to live a bit further out and have more land so we could raise more of our own food. We are thankfully not in town and have nature around us (along with great neighbors and conveniences close-enough). We've been looking the yard over the past few weeks and talking about adding more fruit trees. Determining which fruits is almost harder to decide than where to plant them!

At last count, we had 50 half pints of peach jam. We've opened the second jar (two jars had the audacity not to plink!), so we've been enjoying the fruits of our labor! :D