Menu

McRuffy Phonics

parias1126

The good and the bad please?

My rising 2nd grader needs some phonics review so I was thinking of starting with 1st grade McRuffy Phonics. I also have a K'er who I was thinking of using the K Phonics for.

We have used Hooked on Phonics, Time4Learning, Explode the Code, Pathway Readers and we still need a lot of reading/phonics practice. I don't think she is ready for the 2nd grade after reviewing the samples.

What exactly does the LA cover? I was going to use FLL for both of them, but wondering if that would be overdoing it.

Please give me all the good and all the bad! I really need to decide! :confused:

The LA covers everything including creative writing in one week. You need no other LA/Reading program, it is complete. The creative writing assignments are not in classical style, so you could add that in, but it is not necessary.

I've used McRuffy's for 1st grade and loved it. I too am wondering how the K program is...does a child learn to read through it, or would I need a separate program?

Found some pretty glowing reviews on homeschoolreviews.com about McRuffy's in general. A few posters address the K program. http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=225

We haven't used it much but tried it in the past and my dd just wasn't ready we're going back to it now and yes it does teach them to read. A lot of the work in the beginning is learning the sounds and how to blend them together. By the 26th lesson they will start the little books that come with the program which are called first readers, there are 10 of them and then they have 20 other readers that go with the program for after the first readers. So in short with McRuffy K you get phonics/learning to read along with spelling, writing and basic LA skills.

Ok, so McRuffy is a whole LA program and not just phonics? So if I purchase the 1st or 2nd grade for my rising 2nd grader, I won't need a separate writing program? I was going to use WWE with my rising 2nd grader (or hand planned to) along with FLL.

Will I be over doing it ?

Ok, so McRuffy is a whole LA program and not just phonics? So if I purchase the 1st or 2nd grade for my rising 2nd grader, I won't need a separate writing program? I was going to use WWE with my rising 2nd grader (or hand planned to) along with FLL.

Will I be over doing it ?

Definitely wouldn't need FLL. I do like WWE for the narrations and other classical skills taught. So if it were me, I would do McRuffy with WWE supplemented here and there.

Definitely wouldn't need FLL. I do like WWE for the narrations and other classical skills taught. So if it were me, I would do McRuffy with WWE supplemented here and there.

I'm pretty sure that's the combo (McRuffy's and WWE) I will use this fall with my rising 2nd grader.