Menu

Help with Singapore Math

tarana

I just started using Singapore Math with my 7 yr olds. They both have their own Primary workbooks and share a Primary textbook. I explain the new concept using the Textbook & quiz them orally showing the pictures in the concept section. They are allowed to use paper if required.

1. What is the sequence of work? Do you do the Workbook first or the Practice exercises first?

2. The Practice section has lots of word problems. I was planning to make a copy & give them each so they can work on their own. Do you have any sugesstions how to use the practice section?

Don't go to the workbook until you see the little arrow telling you which workbook exercise to do.

In my opinion, *everything* in the textbook is to be done together. I know lots of people send their kids off to do the practices, but to me it's a "class exercise" to identify which areas need work and to continue the teaching. Your kids would have a great advantage in at least having 2 students to think these through with!

Our use of Singapore improved greatly once I stopped sending ds off to do textbook exercises on his own, and instead used them as a teaching tool. (Once in a while he has to work on his own or even requests to do it himself, and that's fine, but if he starts having trouble, we go back to Plan A.)

Julie

:iagree:

I think she made all the right points. I have also found it helpfl to have my dc do the work in a notebook once they got older. This allows us to have more writing space, less sloppiness and then donate them.

Howdy,

DD is on level 3. We have done 1&2. We sit together and go over texbook problems together. She then does workbook problems independently. If there is a difficulty, I either print up more practice problems, go to CWP, or IP. We finished almost 2 months early so we used the test books as review problems until Memorial Day. I actually liked going over material from Sept in April but next year I might use the tests in the sequence given. I had used the review sections as tests each friday. We covered a chapter/week with math fact drills (add/subtract/multiply/divide)and telling time work sheets included each day.

We do textbook until it signals us to use the workbook. Practices come after a workbook exercise. We also work through the Extra Practice books, each exercise as appropriate after the textbook/workbook sequence.

When we get to the textbooks that also include a Review, we do the textbook review before the workbook review. The textbook reviews are more difficult, so the workbook reviews seem easier for my children.

Starting in 3A, my children do all practices/textbook reviews on paper. It's good practice for writing out problems, lining up numbers, etc.

Mine do well working through the textbook with me and then working on workbook exercises independently. I am available to them as they need my help.

I encourage you, if you have the time and resources, to work ahead of your dc -- textbooks, workbooks, home instructor's guide. This will help you see the methodology in the program.

Thanks for all the replys.

Using the reviews as Test at the end of each chapter is a great idea. I will do that.

I do go thro' the text book concept material with the girls & they give the answers orally. As suggested by you all we are doing the appropriate workbook sections.

After completing workbook exercises, I will work with them using the practice sections orally. Then I will give them each a copy of the practise section (maybe change the names & nos in the word problems) & make them work independently on paper.

Lastly I can test them using the review sections.

My girls are having a diffucult time with the WORD PROBLEMS. Not sure if I can buy the Sinagapre CWPs.

1. Does anyone know where I can get Level-2 CWPs (used/new) ?

2. If I can get the Singapore CWPs, does the levels match with the Text book? i.e if I am working on Primary 2A Chapter 2, is there a corresponding lesson in CWP?

3. Is there any additional resource online that I can use to get some additional practice on word problems?

Edited by tarana