Menu

Anyone using Mosdos? Have some questions

Pip

I have been very intrigued by Mosdos lit off and on for a while but I wasn't sure I wanted to pay the money for an experiment. So, I have found the student Pearl level for a good price.

Mosdos includes some authors that I am very surprised about. I am thinking it requires a higher level of thinkking and could be easily adaptable t older students based on what I am seeing.

Here are my questions.

1. Would the program work well in a group setting:

2. If we did Pearl, would it work with 6th-8th grades?

3. Is the TM absolutely necessary? I have read on other sites that the moms use the questions in the student text with great success. They just need to stay on top of what their child is reading.

That should do it for now, although I'm sure I'll think of some more.

I was surprised at how advanced it seemed compared to the reading level of many textbooks for the same grade. I though I could have easily used it into 6th grade and even 7th.

They are written to be used in schools so yes, they would work in a group setting.

The TM isn't necessary but it contains a lot of background information. I like it because it saved me time spent reading all the stories and figuring out the answers to the questions on my own. But I've also heard of people just using the student book.

The workbooks really aren't necessary unless you need a vocabulary program or you want writing assignments like those used in schools.

while the TM isn't absolutely necessary, as Bee notes, it saves a lot of time. There also is a lot of substance and is set up in my favorite way for a teacher's manual--the pages of the student text are reproduced in the TM, with teacher's notes around the sides and bottom.

Definitely worth it for us.

Terri