Menu

questions on Lials for my 8th grade dd

Hi all,

I am currently using TT pre-algebra for my 7th grade dd. She is good at math but a math phobic. This has been the first year she hasn't cried every day about math. That is the up side. But I think she could do more. My oldest is using Saxon and does well. I know this would not work with my middle. I am intrigued by Lials. Would this work for a math phobic kid? If so what would I need for her? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

and my artsy dd is getting quite a bit from it. Funny thing is that she does very well in math, she just doesn't like it! We're using Lial's Basic College Math for "pre-algebra". The explanations and examples in this are excellent, with review in every chapter, plus comprehensive review after every 5 chapters or so (I don't have the book in front of me). I bought the student text on half.com for under $10.00. The answers to all of the odd-numbered problems are in the back, plus a "solutions" section which shows solutions to some of the problems in each chapter. Not quite the full-blown answer/solutions of TT, but helpful. We have not needed a teacher's guide or the DVTs.

Hope this helps :)

Laura

I'd be inclined to say no. While the examples are very clear, there are just so many problems, and so many different concepts in one lesson. I would think it would be easier to do a text that broke it down more into one concept per lesson.

That's why we stuck with BJU Algebra for my oldest, although #2 is doing fine with Lial's, but it is a lot in one lesson. Most people break it up, and even then, it's still a lot. BJU had just one new concept or formula each day. I wouldn't recommend that one, though - it's pretty tough (and I was glad not to use it again!).

I'm curious why you aren't just going on to TT Algebra?

I guess my reason for thinking of a change is that TT doesn't seem like enough. I have used Saxon and BJU and just don't think there is enough meat to TT. That is just my opinion. I guess though it's not so much what I want as what will work for my dd. I want her to be prepared for whatever career path she chooses. Right now she says she wants to be a writer or an artist. Two years ago it was a vet. It's always the feeling that I'm not doing enough..... :(

For us, 8th grade was the soonest he was able to tackle BCM. We actually tried in 7th, but it was too intimidating for him. The pages are very full and there are tons of problems for each lesson. What I do is simply split up the lesson and only assign sections of odd-numbered problems each day.

I had previously used Lial's BCM with my oldest, who is math-gifted, and it was much easier for me;) However, I love this book and it worked fine for middle ds, too. We just had to take our time and digest it in little pieces. If you have already worked through all of TT Pre-Algebra, you should be able to go through some sections fairly quickly.

I would simply buy an older edition copy off of Amazon or half.com for a few dollars and give it a try. We did NOT use the dvt or need any other helps for this text. The answers to all the odds are in the back. There is a solutions manual available, but I didn't find it necessary at this level.

While the examples are very clear, there are just so many problems, and so many different concepts in one lesson. I would think it would be easier to do a text that broke it down more into one concept per lesson.

That's why we stuck with BJU Algebra for my oldest, although #2 is doing fine with Lial's, but it is a lot in one lesson. Most people break it up, and even then, it's still a lot. BJU had just one new concept or formula each day. I wouldn't recommend that one, though - it's pretty tough (and I was glad not to use it again!).

There are quite a few concepts per lesson, and although the format of BJU may be different (i.e., one new concept or formula per day), I've only seen segments of BJU Algebra 2 and they were tough!, IMO! (But, I'm not a math mom!)

However, I believe you could use Lial's Basic College Math with success. It isn't necessary to do all the problems; in fact, the Student Solutions Manual prints out complete answers for the even problems only, and then gives all the answers for the Chapter Review questions just before the test. Almost all parents on these boards who use Lial's assign only the odd problems. You can get DVT's for this level, although many don't find those necessary. I would recommend them for Algebra, however.

Here's one way you can use Lial's to break down the lessons; have the child spend 2-3 days on each lesson (i.e., Mon. and Tues on Section 2.1) and have them read the chapter examples and concepts for just that portion of the lesson. For instance, for Monday's lesson, they might read Examples 1 through 3, and then do the problems pertaining to those examples (each problem set is clearly labeled up above, "See Example 3" or whatever). Then on Tuesday, they might read Examples 4 through 6, and then do those problems pertaining to those examples. Work through at the child's pace, although for most parents, it seems like 2-3 days per section is usually good. Odd problems are usually enough---you could overwhelm a child, assigning all the problems!

I like Periwinkle's idea of buying an older copy and working through that. That way, if you don't like the text or the presentation, you haven't invested that much money.

HTH!

This is the one we're using this year. You can certainly get it for next to nothing!

http://product.half.ebay.com/Introductory-Algebra_W0QQprZ1586308QQtgZinfo

If you buy it used, make sure you ask if it's the student edition. I see one on this list marked Teacher's. I do use the solutions guide, also.

And here's the Basic College Math. If I were in your shoes, I might try going through this one first, just to be sure she's got everything down pat.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Basic-College-Mathematics_W0QQprZ1628366QQtgZinfo

I've used Lial's with students on a variety of levels. My own dd is NOT a mathy person (pretty much math-phobic).

Like Michelle in MO said, it is EASY to break the lesson into daily chunks (This series was designed for block scheduling). I only assign the odds (except for Chapter Reviews and Tests where I assign ALL problems). Each lesson takes 2-3 days to cover. The lessons are VERY fluid--each section flows into the previous section...

Basic College Math is the Pre-Algebra level text.

Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1

Intermediate Algebra is Algebra 2

I suggest using the older (2001 is NOT that old!) 7th edition texts. They are nearly identical to the 8th edition--and there are only MINOR changes between editions.

With shipping a 7th edition text in 'new' to 'like new' condition should run around $10 including shipping! The text is all that is needed to start--other supplements can be found as needed.

ISBN #0321091051. There are some for a few dollars here, if you go down the page. The pictures don't match, but it says 7th.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/0321091051

I just looked again, and one of those from alibris says it's the Teacher's Edition, but it's listed as the student solutions manual.

Here are a bunch from Amazon Marketplace:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0321091051/ref=dp_olp_2/103-7921356-4329442