Menu

Rod and Staff grade 3 Math question

We have always made all of the posters and manipulatives in grades 1 & 2. I loved the duck pond in 1 & the boats & bees posters in 2. But grade 3's multiplication poster looks very big and difficult to make. Have you made one as listed in the book, or found a way to change it to make it more usable or smaller?? Is it difficult to make and implement?

All ideas needed with as much detail as possible! Dd and I enjoy the lessons in the books, and I like to stick with it as much as possible. And dd enjoys the little stories and themes in each book.

We finished R&S 3 this past month and I did not make the poster. Like you, I did make the posters for 1st and 2nd, but we did fine without it for 3rd grade. Because I didn't make the poster, I had to modify the way I did the oral drill portion of the lesson, but it all worked out fine in the end.

If you really want the poster, but don't want to make the R&S one, maybe you could just get a multiplication chart at a teacher store and use that?

Lisa

Were you able to stick with the ocean theme, and read the little stories and such w/out the poster? Did it still seem to flow? My dds both enjoyed hearing about bees so much this past year w/math 2.

I guess a regular multiplication chart is really all they are doing, just introducing it one row at a time with the ocean theme. I will have to look at it some more.

Anybody else modified this?

But grade 3's multiplication poster looks very big and difficult to make. Have you made one as listed in the book, or found a way to change it to make it more usable or smaller??

Are you talking about the terms poster? If so, I just pointed to it in my TM each time I had to use it, and dd memorized it from there.

Were you able to stick with the ocean theme, and read the little stories and such w/out the poster? Did it still seem to flow? My dds both enjoyed hearing about bees so much this past year w/math 2.

I guess a regular multiplication chart is really all they are doing, just introducing it one row at a time with the ocean theme. I will have to look at it some more.

Anybody else modified this?

No, I really didn't stick with the ocean theme. I felt a little guilty about not doing the poster, but I started it and realized it was going to be quite a project.

Lisa

Are you talking about the terms poster?

No, I am wondering about the one where you make rows of ocean creatures for each row of the times table. I didn't start making it yet like the previous poster did, but I could tell by reading about it that is going to be a monster to make, and just big in general. I don't have wall space for something like that all year. That is why I was wondering if anyone had come up with a smaller one that worked, so that I could stick with the ocean theme.

No, I am wondering about the one where you make rows of ocean creatures for each row of the times table. I didn't start making it yet like the previous poster did, but I could tell by reading about it that is going to be a monster to make, and just big in general. I don't have wall space for something like that all year. That is why I was wondering if anyone had come up with a smaller one that worked, so that I could stick with the ocean theme.

Oh! OK, well, no I never made that (we just finished level 3). It was too much work and space, LOL! I think at the beginning, I would draw little symbols on scrap paper, whenever the TM instructed me to use the poster. After a few times of doing that, dd got the concept, so I didn't continue it unless she seemed to need it.