Menu

SCA families out there????

My DH played in Caid. Now we are in the Outlands getting ready for 2nd Glory War. The kids have a blast in the boffer tourney's and my DD was even was recognized by TRH's for her chilvery. Something about watching a 5 year old curtsy for the Queen, ya know!!!

It sure is an expensive hobby, for sure. What tips do you have, even though you don't play anymore, for this SCA newbie? We are a vking persona family, my DH is a heavy fighter and embroidery looks real interesting to me.

Lochac! And planning a frantic sewing day to get garb done for Coronation and our new baronial investiture in a fortnight! :willy_nilly:

Maybe two frantic sewing days. :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Like most hobbies, it's as expensive as you allow it to be. Getting armoured up is quite an outlay, but a bit cheaper if you can find someone to help you make your own. Once you've got your own kit, however, you've got it and will only need to spend money on repairs. Embroidery is a cheap hobby until you get the confidence to use silk :D Getting involved in the service aspects is a good way to keep occupied without spending even more. Some events give discounts if you work in the kitchen, for example. Even if they don't, it's a good way to get to know everyone, because everyone drops by the kitchen at some stage! Helping is a very good way of making friends :) Other important tip is to find out from the local populace where to shop for fabric. Very important!!! Do the same if you are ever travelling for an event. The only place selling wool fabric in my town retails about $40/m. I can buy wool for $10/m in the capital, so I buy up and resell it to the other members up here.

Speaking of membership, it's probably going to be cheaper to join as a financial member than to pay the non-member surcharge at each event.

:)

Pani Nawojka Opalenska, mka (mundanely known as) Rosie :D

Rosie, Something told me that you were in the SCA. Maybe it was something you posted.....

Wow, your tips are phenomenal, thank you. Luckily my DH had all of his armour and to save on cost did his own pounding of his helmet. He just made his own helm and is quite proud of it. He is a "do it yourselfer" so that helps. Our seneschal is quite the semstress so she helps me with the kids garb, they need so many outfits and grow so quickly. Thank goodness for "hand me downs". I pay it forward and pay it back by offering to mow her 3 acres of grass or watch peoples kids during fighter practice....HOLD!!!!!!

I want to use silk in my embroidery but NOT till I get the hang of it. There's a little shop on my corner that sells the supplies, she even has raw material to felt with!!! I really want to try my hand at viking motif really and try to stay within that period and genre. Can't beat the garb aspect of it!!! I just got done with making the boys pants that have either 2 or 4 panels of some old sheets that I wasn't using. Sure it looks like PJ's but it's for kids play garb. I have yet to make myself an apron dress. Where I'm at we have a Wal-mart or Hobby Lobby for our fabric selection and it's AWEFUL!!! I have yet to venture to Ft. Collins in Colorado to check out their selection. My seneschal does most of her shopping on line, so that's my best bet till we PCS out. Yes, we are also military to boot.

Volunteer....oh yes!!! I am volunteering 4 hours for our up coming war during youth activities and my 11DS is volunteering in the kitchen because the "feastocrat" said she'll feed him if he does dishes. My son loves to eat different foods and this is right up his alley!

We just uped our membership and you can't beat the family caps on SCA events. With 4 kids its wonderful!!!

Your name is beautiful, can you tell me more about it??

Rosie, Something told me that you were in the SCA. Maybe it was something you posted.....

Maybe I just give off an air of geekiness :D

I'm very impressed with your lord's armouring efforts! Helmets are tricky! My lord has been "gonna" get into armour for three years so far, but we live too far away from the main group to be able to garner help. Anyway, he's a LARPer by preference and prefers boffer anyway. I think a guy in armour is sexy, but that hasn't been enough to encourage him yet ;)

I want to use silk in my embroidery but NOT till I get the hang of it.

I suspect I'm never going to feel confident enough to use silk, but that's currently a much needed money saver, so I'm in no hurry to improve that much! I'm working on a hook rug for ds for Christmas, but when I've finished that I'm going to start an embroidered quiver for my lord. He's Roman, so I've picked out this as a pic. I don't think Roman archers had embroidered quivers, but C is for Creative, yes? Here's the pic, very apt, don't you think? http://www.sfmission.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Tunisia/Art_and_History/Bardo_Museum&image=diana-huntress.jpg&img=&tt=

Your name is beautiful, can you tell me more about it??

Why thankyou! It's caused a few headaches for myself and the heralds. My persona is a 16th century Polish woman; a member of the szlachta class (Hey, Iwka, if you're reading, aren't you impressed I even know that word? ;) ) She was born in 1518, the year Queen Bona Sforza came to Poland. "Nawojka" appealed to me as a name because it has been attributed to the legend of a Polish girl who dressed as a boy to attend the Krakow university. The name does not appear in the original (or as close to as we can know) tale, but came later. I like it anyway :) I also don't think that all Polish women need to be called Jadwiga! Opalinska or Opalenska was a szlachta name I found online and it sort of appealed to me as an Aussie, since we mine opals over here :) A kind of pun, sort of. The "Pani" bit is just the Polish version of "Lady" because I have an AoA. Just a title.

I only wish I could sew well enough to make persona appropriate garb, but it's mostly Norse for me too, though I'm working on a cotehardie.

Nawojka/Rosie- who will start a garb boast thread when she's got this sewing done!

Maybe I just give off an air of geekiness :D

I'm very impressed with your lord's armouring efforts! Helmets are tricky! My lord has been "gonna" get into armour for three years so far, but we live too far away from the main group to be able to garner help. Anyway, he's a LARPer by preference and prefers boffer anyway. I think a guy in armour is sexy, but that hasn't been enough to encourage him yet ;)

I suspect I'm never going to feel confident enough to use silk, but that's currently a much needed money saver, so I'm in no hurry to improve that much! I'm working on a hook rug for ds for Christmas, but when I've finished that I'm going to start an embroidered quiver for my lord. He's Roman, so I've picked out this as a pic. I don't think Roman archers had embroidered quivers, but C is for Creative, yes? Here's the pic, very apt, don't you think? http://www.sfmission.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Tunisia/Art_and_History/Bardo_Museum&image=diana-huntress.jpg&img=&tt=

Why thankyou! It's caused a few headaches for myself and the heralds. My persona is a 16th century Polish woman; a member of the szlachta class (Hey, Iwka, if you're reading, aren't you impressed I even know that word? ;) ) She was born in 1518, the year Queen Bona Sforza came to Poland. "Nawojka" appealed to me as a name because it has been attributed to the legend of a Polish girl who dressed as a boy to attend the Krakow university. The name does not appear in the original (or as close to as we can know) tale, but came later. I like it anyway :) I also don't think that all Polish women need to be called Jadwiga! Opalinska or Opalenska was a szlachta name I found online and it sort of appealed to me as an Aussie, since we mine opals over here :) A kind of pun, sort of. The "Pani" bit is just the Polish version of "Lady" because I have an AoA. Just a title.

I only wish I could sew well enough to make persona appropriate garb, but it's mostly Norse for me too, though I'm working on a cotehardie.

Nawojka/Rosie- who will start a garb boast thread when she's got this sewing done!

could you PM me so that we may chat about this more?