Menu

Poetry suggestions?

TXMary2

I really like Progeny Press Introduction to Poetry which I recently got. I have classical Writing Intro. to Poetry but it looks like I have to read on it first before even venturing to do it with my kids. But with PP Intro. to Poetry, it looks like I can slide into it easily and actually finish.

I also like Grammar of Poetry and just for reference for me as a teacher, Michael Clay Thomas's poetry series of Fireworks Press. I still can't get a grip on this program on how to implement with my kids. I get inspired by reading through it but have no idea how to pace.

So far, the only doable one for me is PP Intro. to Poetry.

I used Classical Writing's Beginning poetry and my ds really enjoyed it. I did not pre-read the core book, we just got the student workbook and jumped right in.

However, it does not include a "study of the masters" where you have a survey of poetry you read and analyze. Maybe you could combine a program like this one with either a Norton anthology type book or a collection of books on different poets. We have a number of books from this series, which we like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=poetry+for+young+people

just for reference for me as a teacher, Michael Clay Thomas's poetry series of Fireworks Press. I still can't get a grip on this program on how to implement with my kids. I get inspired by reading through it but have no idea how to pace.

So you haven't gotten it out with your kids yet? I was curious if anyone had.

I would like to find a Poetry curriculum for the middle school range. I am looking for something that covers popular poets, memorization and writing your own poetry.

Most of the things you mention, I've seen in all-in-one types of language arts. I used some of the poetry in LLATL green, gray, & gold with my oldest dd. I also used an inexpensive book from a teacher's store, where she wrote poetry & such. There is also poetry study in LL7 & LL8. But all of those include other things, a swell.

The Poetry for Young People books cover one popular poet at a time.

You could get the poetry facts from a reference book like Painless Poetry or Sound & Sense.

Edited by Julie in MN