Menu

Spinoff: activities really-littles

I was just reading the thread Workboxes for Little People. I really liked some of the ideas for my 3 year old! But they would just NOT work for my 1 year old. He puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. And then after he tries it in the mouth, it gets thrown. So rice is definitely OUT for that little boy! Does anyone have fun, similar, hands-on ideas for the really little people?

My son, when he was one-year-old, really liked playing with a small bucket of water. I could do it outside in the summer and inside - on a big towel - in the winter. Plastic storage containers and plastic cups make great scoopers and dumpers.

I also tried water painting. You put about a tablespoon of water and a drop of food coloring in a small, plastic bowl. Give the kid a paper and paintbrush and let him go to it. There's not enough water for a mess. There's no paint involved. And my son always ran out of interest before he used up the tablespoon of water.

Other than that, I found that I had to use some tough store-bought toys with him. Like yours, he threw everything as soon as he was done with it. And small pieces - even of nice Melissa and Doug puzzles - were not gonna work.

It does get better though. By 2 I was able to give him a box of beans. By 2.5 a box of rice.

You know, the other thing you could try is playing with the one-year-old. Leading the play, I found, led to less throwing - at least during the playing period.

Oh, and you know what? I also used videos. I had video time twice a day, 30 minutes each, for my own sanity. He hardly sat for more than 15 minutes, but it was a blessed 15 minutes for me.

I hope you figure something out.

Edited to add: My son really liked to take walks at this age. He liked to crawl/scoot/waddle/walk and pick up sticks. He was Mr. Stick-Collector. He also like for me to blow bubbles for him.

Edited by CookieMonster
another thing!

What about just putting shape sorts and stacking toys in there? Plastic or chewable books? Puffies? Make a texture box with items safe to put in the but have a different feeling to them or even a different taste. A SigningTime video. Music CD. crayons and color book? home made playdough? I am assume you are just trying to get the baby in routine?