Menu

Please look at my 8th Grade Curricula and what schedule to implement with it??

5KidzRUs

Starting Points

Teaching Textbooks Algebra I

Lightning Lit. 8th Grade

IEW Intensive Writing C

Apologia Physical Science

Hakim History of US with Oxford Exams

Spelling Power

... and maybe 8th grade K12 Grammar ... and I was thinking about having them read the Henty books ... I also have shelves of literature ...

Do you all think that is too much - or am I missing anything?

I was thinking Math, Spelling and reading 5x/wk and alternating the rest 3 or 4x/wk???

I am using the same math, history but I haven't jumped into IEW or any formal writing program as of yet and we start 8th grade this year. Have you used it before and was it easy to implement?(I am extremely poor at creative writing and I have a major phobia about teaching it)

Also, I didn't see a geography...what are your plans if any?

Starting Points

Lightning Lit. 8th Grade

IEW Intensive Writing C

Spelling Power

... and maybe 8th grade K12 Grammar ... and I was thinking about having them read the Henty books ... I also have shelves of literature ...

I was thinking Math, Spelling and reading 5x/wk and alternating the rest 3 or 4x/wk???

I don't think it's too much and I don't think you're missing anything. Keep in mind though that I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

I am using curriculum that is very similar to yours for 7th.

Math and vocab/spelling I have set up for 5 days. LL7 is scheduled for 4 days, HOU with the Oxford guides is 3 days (Mon. 45 min, Tues. & Thurs. 90 min ea), science 3 days (Mon. 45 min., Wed. & Fri. 90 min. ea.), and IEW is just sort of there. Right now it is scheduled for Mondays, but it fits in very nicely with our grammar program so I think it can be done during that time.

HTH

THank you for replying to my post!!

We did a few days of this IEW and it seems that the author gives it to us in 'baby steps' - I never had formal writing or grammar as a student and this is not scary for me yet :)

Also, We did an intensive Geography co-op two years ago - my boys can still say all current capitals and countries in africa - 98 total I think. We used Runkles Geography and Mapping the World by Heart on the co-op.

Thank you for replying to my post :) Why are your Mondays shorter? Is it for IEW?

We will have a co-op on Tues. and Thurs. that will last until 9:30 - so we won't be able to start bookwork until around 10 or 11 AM.

Wow! This is nice to find someone else who picked the same curricula!

Starting Points

Lightning Lit. 8th Grade

IEW Intensive Writing C

Spelling Power

It looks very solid with excellent curriculum choices. How about language (latin, spanish, etc.)? If you're planning to do Spanish in highshool it might be a good time to have a light introduction with something like Speedy Spanish or get in a year of Latin if you haven't already covered it.

Are you using IEW SWI or SICC? If it's SWI, it can be completed in a semester and you could use the 2nd semester to focus on grammar.

Starting Points is supposed to cover Literature and Composition. From what I've seen of SP, it shouldn't be hard to add in Lightening Lit, but do you need to? We're using CLE LA and CLE Reading (my DD is a workbook kinda girl) and I'm adding in a few units from LLATL Gold-American Lit, but I'm not planning to use the whole curriculum on top of CLE.

Here's wishing you a wonderful, successful school year!

Starting Points

Lightning Lit. 8th Grade

IEW Intensive Writing C

Spelling Power

Well, I think there's overlap there that could potentially overwhelm, depending on the student. Starting Points & LL8 both study quite a bit of literature, especially considering that your History has a lot of reading, too. LL and IEW both have writing. Spelling often transitions into vocabulary at this point (unless spelling is a real weakness), and there's vocab in LL and possibly in Starting Points & IEW.

I'm in the camp for a tighter focus in the middle years, but I'm sure you'll find lots of other WTMers who are on the other end of the spectrum.

Julie

P.S. I also like to add foreign language & some kind of phy ed/shop/health/etc class.

Edited by Julie in MN

It looks very solid with excellent curriculum choices. How about language (latin, spanish, etc.)? If you're planning to do Spanish in highshool it might be a good time to have a light introduction with something like Speedy Spanish or get in a year of Latin if you haven't already covered it.

Are you using IEW SWI or SICC? If it's SWI, it can be completed in a semester and you could use the 2nd semester to focus on grammar.

Starting Points is supposed to cover Literature and Composition. From what I've seen of SP, it shouldn't be hard to add in Lightening Lit, but do you need to? We're using CLE LA and CLE Reading (my DD is a workbook kinda girl) and I'm adding in a few units from LLATL Gold-American Lit, but I'm not planning to use the whole curriculum on top of CLE.

Here's wishing you a wonderful, successful school year!

We have completed Prima Latina, Latina Christiana and Latin Road to English Grammar. I still have LRTEG and I want to go through that one more time with them and them maybe go up to the next level in LRTEG or another program. We also have Rosetta Stone Russian. I guess I need to add these to the list ...

We are only doing SP because it is being taught in a co-op by a wonderful instructor. I am not sure I would attempt it on my own. I was thinking LL would be a complement literature program ... although I have not seen it yet!

We are using the IEW SWI C ... I like what you suggested about doing it in one semester.

I am still trying to figure out if I should add sports ...

Thank you agian for your thoughtful reply!

Thank you for replying to my post :) Why are your Mondays shorter? Is it for IEW?

We will have a co-op on Tues. and Thurs. that will last until 9:30 - so we won't be able to start bookwork until around 10 or 11 AM.

Wow! This is nice to find someone else who picked the same curricula!

There are actually several reasons for Monday being shorter.

When I originally set up the schedule there was a chance, still is, that a friend of ds would be coming over to do science experiments with us. Because of this and a homeschool pe class which is held on Fridays, it seemed as if that would be a good day to schedule experiments. I'm trying to keep Fridays shorter by only covering math, science, and vocab.

By having a 45 min. class on Mondays, I can cover every subject at the beginning of the week. Then, by having 2 90 min. classes on alternate days, they end up with what would be the equivalent of five days worth of classes. Also, by scheduling 2 90 min. classes, it gives us extra time to cover something if needed or desired.

Additionally, because of the way I've scheduled the HOU books so that we can cover 5 in one year, it turns out that there a many Mondays that testing is scheduled. This, I think, will actually work out very well. They shouldn't need more than 45 min. to complete a test and it means they won't have to test on Fri.

Also, by having the 90 min. classes, it allows time to practice IEW skills in those subjects.

I don't know if you've already made up a schedule for LL or HOU, but if you are interested and haven't seen them already, Christine from these boards has schedules for these and other things on her blog http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/. She very generously shares these and they can be modified to suit your need. I used her schedules, with tweaking, for both LL and HOU. It was really nice not having to reinvent the wheel.:)

HTH