Menu

Difference btw. viral and bacterial pinkeye?

Does anyone know how to tell this? We've been dealing with pinkeye since last Wednesday, and I'm PRETTY sure it's viral. It just doesn't seem that bad, you know? The eyes are a little matted together upon waking, but then throughout the day, gunky stuff appears in the eye, but not overwhelming amounts. The thing is it has just been hanging around. Everyone has good days, with very little gunk and redness, and then days with a lot more gunk. Like me today. I thought I was pretty much over it, but today has been worse. We have 6 kids, my dh is TDY, and I am so ready to be done with all this!!

Anyhow, the reason I'm asking is that I am going to have to make an appointment tomorow for myself (for a completely unrelated problem--I have an infected hangnail, of all things!), and I thought I would at least make an appointment for my oldest son as well, who seems to have pinkeye the worst. Also, he has a sore throat and is running a fever, so I want him to be tested for strep. But I want to make sure I shouldn't also make appointments for some of the others who are still having pinkeye problems. One son is finally all better, 2 sons never got it, but my 2 daughters are gunky, but not in much discomfort. I wouldn't just on my own take them in. Oh, and this military clinic will not see other family members if you haven't made separate appointments for them, and I won't be able to get many appointments tomorrow either. : ( Lovely military medicine.

SO, back to my original question: does this sound viral, in which case it will just need to run its course? Or does it sound like antibiotics might possibly help, and everyone is needlessly suffering because I haven't taken everyone in yet?

Thanks!

We had viral eye gunk not too long ago-- it was like a cold in their eyes. It actually looked like snot coming out of their eyes. Sorry, yuck.

Pink eye in my experience makes the whites of their eyes red, and hurts, alot.

Hope that helps. I might take them. We had some eye drops when dd #5 had her tear duct irregated and used them, just in case, but when their noses cleared up, so did their eyes.

A virus has been going around both dh and ds9 had it. It included pink eyes, like you described, a cold, sore throat, little cough, slight fever. It lasted about a week and a half from start to finish. This "eye cold" went through a few other families as well.

A virus has been going around both dh and ds9 had it. It included pink eyes, like you described, a cold, sore throat, little cough, slight fever. It lasted about a week and a half from start to finish. This "eye cold" went through a few other families as well.

Hmmm . . . a week and a half . . . Well, it could have included vomiting, so I should be counting my blessings that it is just pinkeye/cold! : )