Menu

Making Kindergarten fun

Guest christine4512

Guest christine4512

Hi - I am new to homeschooling and I will begin Kindergarten with my son soon. I am looking for hands-on activities to make it fun at home. I am not a creative or crafty person, so if you have any ideas or recommendations for books or other resources, please let me know. Christian resources are welcome.

Thank you!

Christine

Handwriting Without Tears has a lot of fun stuff to teach your dc how to write. We have the wooden pieces that one uses to form letters. My 3yo is loving them right now!

Also, Right Start Math has manipulatives/games that my 5yo (K) enjoys when we do math.

Fun stuff...with a purpose!

:)

My DD will be using My Father's World K program. It's a complete K program, but we are using it for just the daily activities -- lots of science, arts and crafts, reading -- all related around a bible lesson and a letter/theme of the week (6 days per lesson, for example, sun, nests, cow, etc). We found a box turtle in the yard and are keeping it for a week to observe, so we did the turtle lesson as a "sneak preview" of kindergarten and she loved it. The complete kit is a little pricey, but I bought the teacher's guide off of the for sale forum for a reasonable price. The program also includes phonics and math, but that part of the program isn't as good of a fit for DD so we are using something else for those areas.

If you are just looking for some fun arts and crafts ideas, MaryAnn F. Kohl has a bunch of books. Her ones for younger kids focus more on the process of art, rather than the end product. We've had a lot of success with her ideas.

Good luck!

Edited by Mama2Three

Do you have anything planned yet?

We love the Williamson's Little Hands Series. We have Science Play, Math Play, Alphabet Art, and Wow! I'm Reading! We just flip through the books to find a fun activity, then do it. We also like the MaryAnn Kohl books (we have First Art, which is for really little kids, Mudworks, Cooking Art, and Math Art). We've also checked the Ed Emberly books out of the library and those have been a big hit.

The other things we'll be doing for K next year are FIAR, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (with Mudpies to Magnets books for extra activities), copywork, and All About Spelling (for phonics and spelling; We are using it now and it's very hands-on and lots of fun!). We'll also be doing some hodge podge of math. Not quite sure what yet.