Menu

I'd like to ask a question of someone who is Catholic. Can you answer?

I'm pretty sure that the Catholic church believes suicide is a sin (correct?), but I'm wondering where the church would say a Catholic believer would go if they committed suicide: heaven or hell?

This leads me to another question (just thought of it!): does being baptized a Catholic ensure that you go to heaven (and if so, then I'm assuming that suicide would have no bearing?) or is it something else that ensures one to go to heaven (like works, etc)?

Thanks for answering...and no thoughts of suicide here, I just want to learn more! :)

http://suicideandmentalhealthassociationinternational.org/whatcathsay.html This reflects the contemporary, scientifically informed attitude toward suicide and the Catholic church. There are those who ignore anything from Vatican II onward and I would not conjecture what they might think the Church teaches. I am of the opinion that hell is alienation from God and His love and mercy. Suicides have already been in that place.

I'm pretty sure that the Catholic church believes suicide is a sin (correct?), but I'm wondering where the church would say a Catholic believer would go if they committed suicide: heaven or hell?

This leads me to another question (just thought of it!): does being baptized a Catholic ensure that you go to heaven (and if so, then I'm assuming that suicide would have no bearing?) or is it something else that ensures one to go to heaven (like works, etc)?

Thanks for answering...and no thoughts of suicide here, I just want to learn more! :)

The best place to get your questions answered would be the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Simply look up suicide or anything else your heart desires in the index and it will give you basic teachings in basic terms. I recommend that you follow up with discussion with a priest for clarification.

Oh, and as to the question of baptism, the Catholic Church does not teach that entry to heaven is certain after is it performed. As far as I know, the only thing that ensures anyone goes to heaven is the grace of God. But asking a Catholic which it is, "faith or works?" is a nonsensical question akin to asking "is a penny heads or tails?" The debate rages only in Protestant thought, IMO.

Here is a small bit about suicide:

From 2280:

...... We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281:

Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God

From 2282:

....... Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283:

We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Hope that is helpful! :001_smile:

I'm sure the links posted above can explain it better than I can. But the CC believes that in committing suicide you are giving up hope in God. Now days there is a lot less judgment about suicide. There is the hope that the person may have regretted the act before death or was not in their right mind. So generally the 'whether it is a sin or not' for an individual who commits suicide is left up to God to judge. But it is generally taught that you should not commit suicide. For Catholics, a sin doesn't necessarily mean you are going to hell. Depends on the magnitude of the sin. There is the whole purgatory thing. Being baptize/confirmed doesn't mean you get a free pass to heaven.

I agree with the others, having been catholic and had a suicide in the family. The new contemporary teachings on suicide are what they church now beleives. There are some great articles out there on this. I had some on my computer, but that was before my hard drive crashed.

Yes, it may be a sin, but there are so many things that go into why a person committed suicide. And IMO and others (professionals) suicide/depression is an illness just like any other.

Tea Time gave you some really good info. Here is a great website that may shed some light on the baptism/salvation issue (as well as many others):

http://www.biblechristiansociety.com/download

The free MP3 download on the debate ""Are We Saved by Faith Alone?" is very informative and gives scriptural references that explain both points of view.

Hope this helps!