Menu

Would it be OK to skip writing next year for 8 and 10 yos?

My oldest are going to be in 3rd and 5th grades next year. We used Sonlight LA this year, and it had a focus on creative writing. I feel like we got a lot of that this year. Maybe more than enough! I am trying to decide what to use next year for our LA program.

Would it be OK to use DITHOR and Rod and Staff grammar, and then just not do a writing program? I have SWR and am trying to get my hands around it. If I can figure the program out, we plan to use it too. We are also planning on using HOD Preparing. Please share your thoughts on the writing.

Also, what levels of Rod and Staff would you recommend for my kids. We have not had a lot of grammar focus using Sonlight's newer LA programs. Should I do 2nd and 4th, or maybe 3rd and 4th? Thank you for any help you can offer!

Well, R&S Grammar has some writing in it. I am a very relaxed schooler at the time being, so I'd say just go with use the sporadic lessons in R&S or, if you don't want to do those, don't and don't feel guilty about it. Your kiddos are still young. They'll be fine.:001_smile:

ETA: I think I would start your older out with R&S 4 Grammar. I don't have any experience with younger levels, but I think I have heard that up until 4th, you can just put them in their appropriate grade level.....Also, back to the writing - won't HOD have writing addressed in it as well?

Edited by InHisGrip

You could just use the writing assignments in R&S and maybe some copywork, dictation and written narrations. Why not get a pre-made copybook from Memoria Press or another publisher?

If you haven't used R&S prior, you may want to go to the Milestone Ministries website and look over the sample pages and the TOC. I would hesitate to begin at level 5 with a kiddo that's not had a lot of grammar previoulsy. Level 3 is still pretty gentle, but it ramps up in 5th grade. So, if you have average students, I'd go with levels 3 and 4. I'd only go with level 5 if your oldest is a really strong student.

Thank you for the suggestions! I checked the Rod and Staff website, and it looks like 3 and 4 would probably be the way to go. I looked further into the HOD Preparing curriculum, and it sounds like there are already writing assignments built into it. I was wondering if I needed to look into WWE or something, but I think we should be all set with what we have. Thank you for your help! I hope we like the Rod and Staff. We have never used it before.

I like that suggestion. Thank you. We have done journaling, but this would be a more parent-guided way of incorporating writing. Where do you have them write these "assignments?" Do you keep them all in one notebook, or file them with various subjects?

I personally would not skip writing, ever!

I do not believe you need a writing curriculum, but I do think kids need to write every week.

My kids write across curriculum. I simply pick topics from their science or history that I want them to know and turn it into a writing assignment.